Craigslist sale help: OT

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhsu
It was the mention of Idaho that had me thinkin' you're nearby. but I trust you can make the shot....
Jim,
I'll need to get a bit closer. The spud gun will send one flying more than 1,000 feet, but accuracy is only guaranteed within the 25 feet

Since this thread wandered off course a bit..... I would be quite leery with that sort of communication from a potential buyer. There are too many strange things afoot these days - err on the side of caution.

Andreas
Old 07-15-2007, 12:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,768 Likes on 2,363 Posts

that's a bit strange, though that is how i buy toys.
if i dont get it today, i lose my interest by tomorrow. sometimes if i dont buy it in the next 10 min. i lose interest. but i do bring cash.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:47 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in the process of buying a 2nd home in Park City, UT. I pretty much walked in and said "I'll take it" I dont know why the agent didnt ask for a deposit or the sale but I called her later that day when I looked at it and she said I needed a $10k deposit to hold it. I replied "You should have asked me for a check" I got her a check that day. I was a lay down.

I do my homework well in advance on pretty much any purchase. Window shopping, tire kicking, and playing games is something that I never do. I know what I want, I go get it.

But yes, those approaches can be weird from people but I have had similar experiences.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:11 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993

I do my homework well in advance on pretty much any purchase. Window shopping, tire kicking, and playing games is something that I never do. I know what I want, I go get it.

But yes, those approaches can be weird from people but I have had similar experiences.
I like to do that too. But I find that hard to imagine if it's a used car. On a Saturday afternoon.

Maybe he bought on credit at a dealership, and thus can get the deal "done" on a Saturday afternoon in 1-2 hours? But either way I would not sell on credit so that would be a moot point for my car.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:41 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhsu
I like to do that too. But I find that hard to imagine if it's a used car. On a Saturday afternoon.

Maybe he bought on credit at a dealership, and thus can get the deal "done" on a Saturday afternoon in 1-2 hours? But either way I would not sell on credit so that would be a moot point for my car.
Yea, seems odd. But yet again, I have seen stranger things like lepercons playing in tree's when I was in college. But those little guys were the real deal, I swear!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:52 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Sold my supercharged Acura Integra on Craigslist last year and ran across one of those odd ones that worked out fine. I had listed in the ad that I could deliver on my tow dolly. Figured it sweetens the deal or gets rid of one headache for the buyer. Guy from about an hour away offers me my asking price of $6000 without coming to look at it. Says "deliver it and I'll give you the cash." I asked him questions every way to be sure it was not going to be a wasted trip, or a life-threatening event.

Turned out fine - I delivered the car (yes, I at least brought another person with me), he handed me an envelope with $ 6000 cash. I went straight to the bank !
Old 07-16-2007, 05:58 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I sold my 230SL Mercedes a few months ago on CL. I had 46 emails in one day and the first guy came and handed me $100 bills and had a flatbed take it away. Easiest car sale I ever did.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:40 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I totalled my car and then wasted a couple days negotiating with a seller over an X5. When it fell through I needed a car pretty urgently at that point. I called another guy with a CARS.com ad the next am to meet me at the bank for a test drive at lunch and bought it within 1 hour (1 owner, I just called the dealer and checked all the service records). the guy was shocked. had plates on it the next am.....

....most of the satisfaction came when the first seller called me a day later. I simply was in tune with the market prices after spending 1 hour on the internet and he was not so he couldnt come to terms with the price I offered but he also probably didnt believe I had bought another car in the previous 24 hrs..
Old 07-19-2007, 04:37 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I sold a BMW 528 for a friend of mine via CL. The first thing I got was an email "I am a serious buyer and want to discuss your car." Then she called and left a message. I returned her call, and she couldn't come see it that night. Then she called back, can I come see it tonight? Long story short, she bought the car the following day. Turned out to be a nice young woman, brought Daddy with her to check it all out, paid cash.

CL rocks. It can also bring out the crazies, that's for sure, but I think most of you guys are a little bit too paranoid. Owning a Porsche can do that to you!

Michael
Old 07-19-2007, 05:07 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I've sold a few things on Craig's List. Each time, I received: (1) a few Nigerian scam e-mails (easily identifiable because they refer to "your item" rather than the name of the thing because they're sent out in batches); (2) a few lowballers with stories about why they can only pay 1/2 of the asking price; (3) a few initially reasonable offers from people who turn out to be flakes when I followed up; and (4) one or two actual legitimate buyers who were eager to buy the item. If you're only getting one hit, your price is probably too high.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
If you're only getting one hit, your price is probably too high.
No, didn't get the Nigerian email (poor me), but the first day got about six or seven emails, mostly of the "can I come see? Can I lowball you beforehand first?" Variety. And that guy who wanted to buy it on a Saturday.

I am not in that much of a hurry: can always park the Subaru on the street. So, I am not lowering my price yet, since I don't see any other M3s within $3000 of my price.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:26 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I posted a set of wheels on the Craigslist. I had three buyers email and say they would FedEx me a cashier's check. I even had one tell me his son needed a kidney and would I take a cashier's check and send him some money back. ( I sent him an email back and told him he didn't need to buy wheels if his son was in that condition)

To date, I have recieved two cashier's check, both for $2500, my wheels were for sale for $750. Both were bogus of course.

Please be careful.

Quick Reply: Craigslist sale help: OT