Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

My 95 wont rev over about 5400....Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:47 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Maybe its me but seems that a rev. limiter issue would computer related?
Yup! If you check the ECU for fault code #41 that might confirm it. Manually checking the ECU control unit for certain brands of aftermarket performance chips would also do it.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:17 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It reminds me the day when I picked up my C4 in Incline Village, NV. The first thing I noticed, the AC didnt work. Drove back to SLC, called the guy I bought it from, and he was just baffled. It ended up the AC belt was broke.

Four years later and 2 cars purchased from him, the family and I are using his Incline Village home this coming weekend for 4 days. Tahoe rocks and it will be nice to get out this 100 degree heat in Ewetah!

I guess my point is when you first buy a car and something is wrong right from the moment you pick it up, it sucks!
Old 07-16-2007, 08:47 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I just confirmed that the car does not have an aftermarket chip in it.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:18 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you not close enough to the shop that did your PPI to have them look into the problem? Since they presumably gave your car a clean bill of health they should feel responsible, so I'd at least call them. After you make sure it's not the simple stuff, at some point you have to leave it to the pros (whether the PPI shop or a good, trusted Porsche shop), otherwise you're wasting good driving time!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:50 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The place that did the PPI was the dealer in Newark NJ. I am in Dayton Ohio. The guy that I trust with the car is out until next week. I will give it to him then. The more I think about it, it has to be the secondary air injection. I have heard that they have problems. We actually took the car to dinner last night. It runs good as long as you keep the revs below 5k. I can wait. I just like trying to fix stuff myself first. Thanks for all the help guys! I really appreciate it!
Old 07-16-2007, 02:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
The more I think about it, it has to be the secondary air injection.
A failure in the secondary air injection system will not effect the running of the engine.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:55 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

While you wait for the second distributor cap to show up, have you at least had a look at the condition of the caps? You want to look for carbon tracking or traces of carbon that could cause cross firing. Longshot, but worth a look.

Have you been able to log any error codes?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:06 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I took one cap off and it didnt look terrible. It does have some miles on it though. I wasnt able to check for codes yet either. I saw how to do it but didnt totally understand so I need to read it again. Also, I did see that the secondary air pump problem is only on the 96 up cars and mine is a 95 so it isnt that.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:09 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Make sure the resonance flap vacuum actuator is working,..........you may need to find a shop with the Hammer to perform the diagnostics.
Now im thinking that this may be it. I will just have to wait and see after the mechanic gets back dammit.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:57 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

How is the throttle linkage of the 993 setup? I'm not familiar with it. Is there any adjustment to the travel. On one of my earlier cars, it was not adjusted for full travel.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:20 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I took one cap off and it didnt look terrible. It does have some miles on it though. I wasnt able to check for codes yet either. I saw how to do it but didnt totally understand so I need to read it again. Also, I did see that the secondary air pump problem is only on the 96 up cars and mine is a 95 so it isnt that.
Secondary air injection is only for startup to heat up the CATs for lower emissions. It doesn't affect performance even if they are clogged solid.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok, Update, plugs, dist caps, rotors, plug wires, fuel filter and AFM all replaced. Car is still the same. No better. The fuel pump pressure is ok but we are doing a flow test tomorow (Thanks Steve Weiner!) but I am at a loss. Im about 3 beers and $10k from just ripping it all apart and going motec.....j/k. I am missing my old M3 more and more every day........
Old 07-26-2007, 10:23 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Also, I highly encourage anyone that is looking to improve their Porsche to call Steve Weiner at Rennsport systems. He has bent over backwards to offer advice and as soon as I get this problem diagnosed I will buy all my stuff from him if he sells it Ok, now back to bieng in a bad mood......
Old 07-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn - I got 95' 993 w/106K miles on it and it revs to redline faster than you can blink. Have you TOTALLY ruled out a slipping clutch yet??? (Sorry if you have, I did not reread the thread) Hold off on the 3 beers. I have had a lot of discussions with Steve too - I am going to buy my HD's from him soon.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Ok, Update, plugs, dist caps, rotors, plug wires, fuel filter and AFM all replaced. Car is still the same. No better. The fuel pump pressure is ok but we are doing a flow test tomorow (Thanks Steve Weiner!) but I am at a loss. Im about 3 beers and $10k from just ripping it all apart and going motec.....j/k. I am missing my old M3 more and more every day........
Don't give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This WILL be worth all the hassles.

Tell you what, have your tech call me tomorrow,...

Quick Reply: My 95 wont rev over about 5400....Help!!