5.12%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Do you Valet your Pcar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 AM
captain satellite
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming back across country this spring, my 993 was two days new to me and the hotel in the French Quarter had upstairs parking, the valet drove the car into the elevator then parked on some upper floor. I had some misgivings but had a chance to shoot the breeze with a local who'd lived through Katrina. We talked cars for a long time and I was OK, thought my $5 tip was OK but I guess that's not enough for Los Angeles.

Everything worked out OK, but I'm much more conscious of curbs, parking, etc with this car than I've been since I "borrowed" my Dad's town car when I was in college.

One of the cable shows had an expose of a valet in Palm Springs who routinely went through the glove compartment and stole change, items, whatever he could. He drove and Benz!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:41 AM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt valet unless I had no choice, or I can leave it up front. $20 is fair.....

The funniest thing is watching a valet guy trying to find the door handle to get out of the car at night
Old 07-11-2007, 03:15 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

I would only allow it at the Chart House! They drive it 15 feet and park it in front of the restaurant. I can live with that.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nope.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Peter R.
Pro

20$ for a PFY to park your car ??? Bloody hell...my restaurant bill is usually only around that !

Peter R.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 AM
dhicks
Drifting

I have only ever let one of my p-cars be valet parked, a 968 which came back with the seat, mirrors (door and rear view), and radio station all changed.....and not only that the electric seat toggle was broken.....how much can you do in 500 yards!!! NO WAY my 993 get valet parker EVER!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:10 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Without going into much detail, I worked as a valet for about a year when I was in college. From what I saw... uh, don't valet your Porsches.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:20 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Usually, the old "my insurance doesn't cover anyone else driving it..What about yours?" trick works every time. I'm able to get the Valets to let me park it myself right in front and so I still tip them like they did it. Everyone's happy then. Of course my wife calls me a jerk, but I don't really care ;-)
Old 07-11-2007, 09:51 AM
tabasco
Instructor

I never do. I sometimes did it myself when there was no choice.

Another great moment of fear is the tech inspection. Once the guy stalled the car 3 times in a row, plus the fear of the car escaping the dyno as he released the clutch brutally between shifts...
For tech inspection you don't have a choice. But at least I'm watching everything from A to Z.

A tip would definitely be easier to valet park.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:06 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NFW!!!!
I don't let anybody drive my car. Since I've had it (I picked it up with 42 miles on it), my sister drove it around the block once, my brother in law drove it a few miles once (and seemed to try everything under the sun that would make the car spin out!).
Old 07-11-2007, 10:29 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Traffic53
if they SOMEHOW managed to total the car, insurance would send me car shopping. always a good time.
True, but its that hassel people don't want deal with.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:53 AM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by David Ray
Here's a true valet story I've been dying to tell since May 07:

For my daughters 19th birthday we finally break down for the dreaded 1st car! I pick her up from college and we go to the most ridiculous used car lots I can find. OMG she was a riot – the look and body language was priceless when we looked at the misc. cars. LSS: she wants a Passat and we buy a Passat. (Yea, yea I’m easy). We bring it home and it’s beautiful! All the pic and poses with the new ride.

That evening we have dinner res. at Flemming’s in La Jolla and of course she wants to drive the new car. No problem. Anyone familiar with the three restaurants at the Aventine complex (SD) knows there’s "only" valet parking unless you want to walk a good bit. We pull in, park, get out, turn the car over to the valet, start to enter Fleming’s and b-a-n-g, girls screaming, etc. I hesitate but decided to look back. (The rest of the family have already entered the restaurant).

Much to my surprise there’s a Land Rover sitting on the hood of my daughter’s new car. Mind you, just over 3 hours old. I start ranting at the valet in my daughter’s car and almost loose control. Finally he gets a word in and says, “the guy in the Range Rover backed into your car, I hadn’t even put it into drive yet!” I look at the valet in the RR and he takes off running. Apparently he put the RR in reverse thinking it was drive and floored it...well the rest is history!

Every mgr from every restaurant comes out to see what the problem is. My family comes back out, the Valet mgr comes out and it’s a frickn crying fest!!!! Yes it goes on and I won’t bore you – yes free dinner and two very nice bottles of Silver Oak (Napa) Cab 2001.

$4,000 dollars later the car is fixed and the valet company was incredible in their commitment they made to make sure the car was restored to it’s original condition (with genuine VW parts). I’ve never been through a more seamless transaction after something like this but truly the valet company made it easy.

As for my 993 – NO! I don’t valet.

How about letting me park it for you david?, that is, after a few laps..............LOL
Old 07-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 390 Posts

What is valet parking?

In SW Ohio, we take perfectly beautiful farm land and make parking lots out of it. So, unemployment among valet parkers is pretty high here.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 PM
ChrisA
Advanced

Drives my wife nuts, but NFW. If I know we are going to a valet driven parking event I take one of the other cars.

A few years back with a 964, went to a play in SF and was late and forced to valet. When leaving thought the clutch felt different, but put it up to imagination. The next morning checked the mileage (did my 30k service the afternoon before so had a valid starting point) and found the car had 50 more miles than needed to get to SF from my house. Hope they had fun...
Old 07-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

More fun with the valet question... https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=valet

Quick Reply: Do you Valet your Pcar?