993 Forum 1995-1998

sedans- C63 v. RS4 v. M3

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sedans- C63 v. RS4 v. M3

any thoughts here. i know the audi and bmw have been far better drivers cars in the past, but the new benz is supposed to be mighty. apparently AMG has upped it's game with this new generation C class. is anyone else impressed with the previews? they expect the benz in the spring. who knows when the v8 bmw with 4 doors arrives. the audi is quite good, but my wife has the v8 wagon. i like to mix it up.

i have two young kids, and four proper seats is appealing.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 PM
CROME
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I HAVE OWNED ALL THE EXOTICS/ FERRARI, PORSCHE. MERCEDES,ROLLS, ETC

HI GUYS

like I always say..the BMW is the best handling machine in the world
i don't know about there suspension....but whatever BMW did is the best
i dont & will never owned a BMW but i drove & i know the feelings
of a great handling machine.....with confidence....it does it....cornering

never felt this confident with all the exotics i have owned

CROME
Old 07-10-2007, 12:34 AM
BrokenE
Instructor

Maybe they should quit playing around and apply some of that suspension prowess to their F1 cars.

Just kidding. To each, his own.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:52 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a chance to drive the last model M3 - what an amazing car. But it sure seems like you see lots of them here in FL. The RS4 is pretty unique. Don't know anything about the C63 yet...
Old 07-10-2007, 09:46 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I'd go with the RS4 if you have a good Audi dealer near you...and get an extended warranty.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OF all 3 for the same money...get the RS4. Besides having everything the Merc and the Bimmer has, it has something they don't... Quattro!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Peter R.
Pro

Methinks a 6.3 in a C class is naff.

Peter R.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:32 PM
dcdude
Drifting

My buddy is selling his black on black RS4 right now. 22K miles (works in sales) and $63K. Supposedly the cheapest in the country. Very clean. I like the way it drives and it sounds wicked. Plus, being an A4 it has a real back seat. If exclusivity is anyhing to you, there are a whole lot less of these running around in SoCal than the dime-a-dozen M3s.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:38 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The C63 sounds like the kind of car where if the electronic nanny ever fails, you'll instantly go spinning off into a ditch. At least the Audi has a drivetrain that's up to the level of the engine.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

good thoughts. i wonder if thoughts will change when this benz comes out.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:11 PM
creator8
Instructor

RS4 all day long. Killer motor that when you think its done at 6k RPM still pulls like a train to 8200RPM. Sticks like glue and is very neutral handling. Hooligan car one minute and boulevard cruiser the next. If I was in the market for a car in that price range it would be the one to go with. The S6 w/ the V10 is even better.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to have to go against the grain here it seems but I vote AGAINST the RS4.

I had a chance to drive it at a Skip barber event at the first of the year. I was very excited to drive it as I had heard so many things about it. Its a beautiful car, sounds great, etc etc. To be honest, once I sat in the drivers seat and had a go with it, I couldn't wait to get out of it. I was very shocked with how it handled. It was fast, sure, but the handling was not at all what I was expecting. It felt like a FWD mercury or something. I can't explain it other than very odd to drive. I left that day a bit down, I truly hoped it would be just as I heard it was.
The other thing that bothered me about it was the fact that it had nearly the same interior as a friends $20k A3......just seems weird. Who knows, maybe I need more time behind the wheel, but I wasn't impressed.

That said, the current m3 gets my vote (though I know you want a 4door) Its an amazing machine. A very good friend has one and I looked at a few before I bought the 993.

I can't say much on the Merc, I don't know enough about it.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:47 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

be like me and get the RS4- I own one and use it as my daily driver/ hooligan car. I've yet to take it to a track but unlike the A4 quattro, it's supposed to be more rear biased in most situations...it's probably more expensive than the other two- but in my opinion it's more rare and the drivetrain really is awesome. it's very high tech but still has a raw element to the power (8200rpm v8!) and you can always shift off the ESP and get really stupid if you want.
oh and it sets off car alarms when you start it up- that's always a bonus if you've got dorky workmates with sensitive alarms...haha. It does have a real back seat- I threw eric gagne back there the other day and he's a big boy.

black 993- does your buddies a3 have tons of metal, perforated leather, CF interior bits and the MMI interface?

maybe it's just me but 100% of the MB dealers I've dealt with (owned 3 benzes. never again) are complete douches. it's bad when I get better help at aston martin and ferrari than mercedes.

with bmw you know you're getting a good product, but how many things will fall apart on the interior and electronic or a/c systems while you've got it?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

black 993- does your buddies a3 have tons of metal, perforated leather, CF interior bits and the MMI interface?
You've got me there, but it was the first thing into my head when I got in the car. Its VERY similar. His has the metal, but not the others.

I did NOT feel it was rear-biased at ALL when I drove it. Again, I may need more time behind the wheel and I'm in no way trying to downplay your car, I just don't think I could spend the money on one after my experience in it. I was hoping for the best but came away with an "average" feeling.

To each his own, though
Old 07-11-2007, 02:03 AM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Sorry to weight against the Porsche-Audi sentiment, but I'd tend to towards the M3. I've never driven an RS4, but the Audis and MBs I've owned just didn't have the feedback of a Bimmer. I'm hoping for a new M3 at some point myself -- have a 335i now and love it. The steering is almost Porsche-level in precision.

Quick Reply: sedans- C63 v. RS4 v. M3