RS Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:24 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Marty, et al:

A few comments if I might, one right out of the factory RS books:

Original Carrera RS springs are 245lb/in (43N/mm) front and 457 lb/in (80 N/mm) in the rear. 150/300 is good for street-only cars,.. These were single-rate, progressive springs without tenders.

I'm not sure if H&R or Eibach made these OEM springs (60mm) since these were made specifically for these cars and both manufacturers were suppliers to Porsche. Nowadays, we would use a much more modern main/tender setup for better low speed compliance without resorting to a rising-rate suspension setup. Thats Ok for street machinery but not very predictable for track use on race tires.

TRG is not the only source for 993 suspension packages,...
Old 07-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,781 Likes on 1,705 Posts

So, while we're on the shock/spring theme, what would be a good, cost effective option for non-adjustable shocks/springs?

I was thinking RS or Cup shocks/springs with OE 22mm F/19mm R sways, maybe adding some monoballs. However, I'd like more input on a cost effective and simple setup that works well on the track while still being compliant enough for some street.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:11 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Louis:

You'll get a lot of opinions so I'll simply offer mine, FWIW....

I cannot understand why anyone would want non-adjustables in this day & age IF they are going to do track days as well as general street use. Its simply "old, 90's technology" now,....

I'd suggest PSS-9's over any Cup/RS shock-springs unless you have the budget to install the requisite Evo uprights & Evo tie-rods to correct the bump steer you'll get with such short struts shocks. If you have the additional $2K for those components, then a custom valved set of RS Bilsteins and a main-tender spring setup works OK.

RS/Cup struts & shocks require monoballs/camberplates; PSS-9's do not.

Bottom line? Its all about your budget,....

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 07-13-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Cool Good Question...

David,

You asked earlier, "1. What were the OEM RS spring rates F/R? I replied, "
150 Front, 300 Rear. I have put them on a spring checker, personally.M030 and M030 (Row) are about the same, just shorter." I gave you M030 (RoW) spring rates NOT 993 RS springs. Steve Weiner stepped in and gave you what you need.

I will ask a pal of mine who is know to be the repository of Porsche car arcana. When he gets back to me with the answer (NO PRESSURE Cup Car!), I'll pass the info on to you.

I wasn't aware of TRGs product line for suspensions other than sway bars...I should have known. Viper Bobs former protégé, Austin, is doing sales at TRG.

You write, "Sept. is closing in!" Are you referring to the POC Short Track Series event at the Streets of Willow, or is the world ending in September?

Back to bed...very late here, at least for me: 1:11 AM, ouch!

Quick Reply: RS Sway Bars