993 Forum 1995-1998

buying a 993 with engine light (port or SAI problem?) on

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:19 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Also remember that flushing the ports doesn't always work, sometimes the carbon can be worse than cement and you have to drill them out. Which means you have to tear the engine apart. So you absolutely have to negotiate in the price of a top end rebuild if clogged ports are causing the 0410 and 1411.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't say what state you are in but in CA emissions testing is required for transfer of title, you will not be able to pass emissions with CEL activated. Cost related to passsing emissions and providing a smog certificate are the responsibility of the seller. Ir a car cannot have the readiness codes set and pass emissions, I strongly urge my customers not to purchase the car until that is complete.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:04 AM
opus
Instructor

Thanks guys. I have decided to pass on the car for now. I have two cars now, no more garages able for another car. Plus, Guard Red isn't my favorite color anyway. Also, I would have preferred a car with PSM. I think I'll wait for the prices of 997 to come down after Porsche introduces the 998. I read today here that Porsche has produced 100,000 997 worldwide already compared with just 49,000 for the entire run of 993. So, I see prices coming down quickly.

If anybody is interested in the $28k 33k mile with CEL, PM me, and I'll send you the link to the ad. The car is near Atlantic City in NJ.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:42 PM
KeithR3
Pro

33K miles and cel issue? Why? Poor driving habits?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:49 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The codes you are getting are for both 'sides' of the engine, I believe. I had the same problem a few months back and it turned out to be some connections around the SAI check valve (I had the check valve replaced and got the codes after the install). My mechanic told me that when he sees both codes, he likes to look elsewhere first because it is more likely that a true SAI problem will usually generate just one code (i.e., side) at a time.

I have no idea if that makes any sense. To me, it is likely that an engine will wear at a constant rate and getting both codes close to the same time could easily happen.

Just wanted to let you know of my recent experience. Find a good shop for the PPI and you will know a lot more.

Good luck,
chuck

Quick Reply: buying a 993 with engine light (port or SAI problem?) on