Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

DAS Roll Bar install instructions-anyone have them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

I guess every install is going to be somewhat unique, after reading previous install threads I was prepared w/ ratcheting straps and a bottle jack, but only needed to twist the big tranverse bar a little.

The issue arises because, when it's welded, metal warps. No matter what you do to prevent it.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, it is variation from bar to bar, not car to car? Thus if I am installing a gently-used bar, I could expect it to go in without too much fuss?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
So, it is variation from bar to bar, not car to car? Thus if I am installing a gently-used bar, I could expect it to go in without too much fuss?
That's my opinion, based on what I have seen from welding ss tube and building aluminum and steel hulls.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Bill, I've got a used one to put in. Will report on how easy it goes.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:26 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DAS is no longer a separate business entity. They were acquired by CDOC. They can help and you may want to get new bolts for the installation. I find that when installing a used DAS bar, the threads are sometimes nickered (technical term), and other items are missing. Call Mackenzie at CDOC and he'll take care of you.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Bob...I started my install yesterday and found that I am missing the two longer AN 7/16n x 31/32" bolts for the seat belt retractors. Obviously I didn't get far without them. I'll try CDOC!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
...The issue arises because, when it's welded, metal warps. No matter what you do to prevent it.
Sure, but that's no excuse. Just because something's welded doesn't mean you can't control dimensional tolerances!! DAS bars seems to consistently fit poorly, which just shouldn't happen. But we don't have many choices...
Old 07-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Got new bolts from CDOC (excellent service, BTW!) and went to install my bar last night. I had the entire bar fit loosely in the car and the bolts lined up without much trouble....excellent, except....I was then having much trouble with my seat belt retracters. They tend to lock very quickly if their orientation is not "just so". On the car there is a little tab spot welded on that a nub on the back of the retractor fits into (red line in the photo). This keeps the retracter at the right angle. When I installed my bar I could not get the lower bars side flanges to line up underneath the tab, per this photo from DAS. Instead the flanges overlapped the bar. My retracters were not in the correct orientation so I couldn't get the seatbelts to come out.

2 questions:

1) Could you guys get the bar in the orientation shown in the photo with the flanges underneath the alignment tab? Did you have to cut carpet to do it?

2) When your bar is installed can the belt retracter nub still interface with the alignment tab?

thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2007, 10:14 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

If I recall correctly on mine, I had to remove some of the insulation under the carpet to get the cross bar to sit low enough to align with the mounting hole. As for the alignment tab, I seem to recall it is no longer usable because the belt retractor is mounted slightly away from the hole. I don't think it is important anyways. The problem I had was that belt retractor may not fit exactly straight up and down without some serious effort to get it all aligned exactly.

And don't panic if you lock the retractor and can't seem to get it loose. It is so delicate that unless the retractor is straight up and down you may think you have screwed the pooch.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:15 AM
mbb993
Instructor

2 questions:

1) Could you guys get the bar in the orientation shown in the photo with the flanges underneath the alignment tab? Did you have to cut carpet to do it?

No, did not need to cut my carpet. In fact the wiring harness was not a problem either for me.

2) When your bar is installed can the belt retracter nub still interface with the alignment tab?

Yes, I just held the belt retractor in the correct position (strait up) while tightening it down. I noticed that the small nubbin on the base of the belt retractor but up against the edge of the Das bracket and alignment was near perfect and the belt works fine.
I just did this install last weekend and was surprised at how well it went. Had to do a bit of pulling on the bar to get the front bolts in but needed no "heavy equipment" help. Perhaps I just got lucky and things fit for me.

I did notice that the bar is slightly closer to the pillar on the passenger side than on the driver side and wonder if others have seen this as well. This of course is not adjustable by the installer. Otherwise fit is great.

Last edited by mbb993; 07-18-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:27 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

You may wish to Dremel a little dimple to locate the seat belt reel for it to clock properly. Like you said, they are really sensitive with respect to orientation.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:17 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

I Dremeled a little notch in the DAS lower bar flange so that the seat belt reel could be properly vertically oriented. No biggie, but a bit annoying.

Also, you may need to move the wire harness so that it doesn't get smashed by the big lower bar. Another common issue.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the replies guys!! I'll have a look for the wiring harness and/or insulation under the carpet. Actually last night I thought I had messed up one of the seat belts before I realized how much it depended on position. I took off one of the end caps and SPRONG!, out came 10 feet of spring steel. It was a lesson in patience getting that baby re-installed!

Eric, Chris..When dremeling the dimple did you install first to find the right position?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:16 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

...Eric, Chris..When dremeling the dimple did you install first to find the right position?
Don't need to install first. You already know there's interference. With everything out of the car, align the seat belt retractor on the DAS bar as if it's in the car. You'll see why and how it's not able to rotate to the full vertical position because the rivet in the back of the reel hits the DAS flange. You might already see a mark on the DAS bar flange where the reel was hitting it. Then just dremel a little dimple there. Hopefully that'll do it!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:17 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you guys have the rear interior installed, except for the seat backs? I have the roll-bar installed, but my car had the rear interior completely removed and I'd like to put it back.

Quick Reply: DAS Roll Bar install instructions-anyone have them?