Sponsored by:

Rear calipers are 'toast' according to mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:38 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear calipers are 'toast' according to mechanic

I took the car in for a basic brake fluid flush. During the work they determined that the rear calipers are knacked. This is not shocking news, I thought I night have a problem with the right rear since one of the pads was gone and the other was less than 1/2 consumed. The other side was even and at 1/2 use.

Since doing the brake job (new pads and rotors too) I've had squeel off the rear.. probably the right side so I'm pretty sure they are simply not trying to upsell me.

So.. all that background provided... should I have them attempt a rebuild or insiste they source some good used calipers? They are working up a quite for repacements (new) but I'm sure that's going to be into the thousands.. and by that point I might just by a full Big Red kit, right?

I do NOT know who to trust for used rear calipers. PM or post.. but I need to decided quickly which way to go. They are hemming and hawing about rebuilding them (hard to get parts blah blah blah). I suspect Sunset could source them for me and have them up here in a day or so.

I did run a search and got a lot of old threads but not the info I need.. in fact not much info at all.

Rebuilding - even worth attempting and what should I expect to pay for parts?
Good Used - what would those typically run?
New - that's GOTTA be expensive - should I just go big red and be done, sell off my new rotors and pads and front calipers?

TIA!
Old 06-27-2007, 02:05 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

About the only thing I think that could be wrong is that one (or more) of the pistons is stuck, either the internal seal is knackered, or the outer boot is split and gummed up with brake dust. (or maybe the internal path is blocked with waxy stuff?)

Removal of the caliper is easy, and you can EASILY source new pistons and seals. I did this when I rebuilt mine after powdercoating.

Couple of hours labor (or DIY, it's not difficult, just a little messy)

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Brembo/Con...es.htm#Rebuild
http://www.zeckhausen.com/StopTech/c...es.htm#Rebuild

Has all the Brembo parts you could possibly need. The StopTech pistons are a drop in for the Brembo ones...
Old 06-27-2007, 02:08 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Pelican lists them new for <$400 each.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:10 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Another thought is to try your local PEPboys.... yes I did suggest that... They list Porsche 993 calipers as a rebuilt unit on their "system", and I recall it was $200 last time I asked (a few months back)...
Old 06-27-2007, 02:14 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by grmnxtc
Another thought is to try your local PEPboys.... yes I did suggest that... They list Porsche 993 calipers as a rebuilt unit on their "system", and I recall it was $200 last time I asked (a few months back)...
Are you sh**ting me? That would solve my problem... quickly. Right now, according to Sunset (just got off the phone with them) the left caliper is 1 month from Germany and the right is an 'unknown'. I've been down this road with the front brake lines I busted.

Hm.. I'm not sure there is a PepBoys up here in WA but I'll make some calls.. I'm sure they have another 'brand' name up here if not PepBoys themselves. And at under $200 each.. that's worth the saved hassle.

I've removed the calipers before on my 964 and the fronts on the 993 so I know it's not a big deal.

Thanks for the feedback guys!!! I was shocked that the calipers were under $500 each.. honest!
Old 06-27-2007, 02:15 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I would absolutely avoid replacing with new, but if you do get a new caliper, insist that YOU provide it yourself. Otherwise they'll ream you. IMHO they'd be unreasonable to insist you buy a new caliper from them when it can certainly be rebuilded.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:23 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

As said rebuilding is easy and might be something simple but wont know until you get the pistons out.

I picked up a pair of mint 993 rear calipers on Ebay about 2 months ago. I paid $250 for them shipped with nearly new pads, sensors complete.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:28 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I would absolutely avoid replacing with new, but if you do get a new caliper, insist that YOU provide it yourself. Otherwise they'll ream you. IMHO they'd be unreasonable to insist you buy a new caliper from them when it can certainly be rebuilded.
Yes, this is why I am calling around to find a source myself before I get the 'bend you over and be hogged out' estimate from them. I've rebuilt calipers before on really crappy old cars. Actaully a quality caliper like this might be much easer to deal with than the ones I've had to deal with before.

The big unknown for me is how much they will charge me to do the rebuild labor and weight that against my time and figure out if I want to hassle with it, then hav to rebleed (I guess I need to buy a proper power bleeder.... ).
Old 06-27-2007, 02:29 PM
stevedowd911
Advanced

I've had good luck with Mobile Brake Service in Seattle. They've rebuilt the calipers on my '87, and they've been excellent since then. I know of several other people who have dealt with them also, along with my mechanic. Might be worth a call.

Mobile Brake Service
7100 East Marginal Way South
Seattle, Washington 98108
Telephone: (206) 624-7740
www.goldlinebrakes.com
E-mail: info@goldlinebrakes
Old 06-27-2007, 03:18 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Awesome Steve, thanks for that bit of info. I'll give them a ring and find out.

The shop wanted $600 to rebuild, $1000 to replace. I told them to hold off and I'll take the car home and think it out. Sounds like just doing the rebuild is the way to go. For the $200 or so in parts it's worth trying it myself or maybe having a shop do them. Bummer.. I was going to do a lapping day with my local club on Friday but not if the brakes are an issue..
Old 06-27-2007, 03:23 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

For the $200 or so in parts it's worth trying it myself
If you've never done it before, prepare to spend a couple of hours at the end of which you'll be missing a finger and covered in brake fluid.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
If you've never done it before, prepare to spend a couple of hours at the end of which you'll be missing a finger and covered in brake fluid.
Common that is a bit extreme. If you do it right all that will happen is you'll be covered in brake fluid.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:32 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

You lose the finger while trying to blow out the pistons with compressed air when whatever you wedged between the pistons slips.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:40 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

:0 :0 :0 that sounds like fun. Maybe I'll order the parts (saving about 50% over what they want to charge me) and have them do the R&R.. will save me a couple hundred dollars and I can enjoy a day at work while they get covered with the brake fluid and other nonsense. Hm.. much to ponder.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 395 Posts

Sometimes they can reasonable be rebuilt other times not.

a common issue is frozen pistons, if the bores aren't too deeply scared then new stock seals work fine, but if the bores are too badly damaged they must be bored to the next size or resleeved w/ s/s inserts.

another is that the area between the s/s pad holders and aluminum body corrodes and collects mung w/ makes it difficult to seat pads.

No matter, it won't hurt to take them apart and see what the damage is.

Quick Reply: Rear calipers are 'toast' according to mechanic