Sponsored by:

Rear calipers are 'toast' according to mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was also gonna suggest internally corroded rubber brake lines. You're gonna have some major brake bleeding coming up anyway. So you might as well disconnect the rubber line from the caliper hard line, gently push the pedal and see what comes out of the rubber line. If nothing, then disconnect the other end of it, do the same test and I'll bet fluid spews out. Be careful with this stuff.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:29 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
In light of this development would a rebuild still be worth pursuit?
Absolutely it would still be worth it. There is not much to these calipers (see two images below of split calipers -- photos courtesy of Gustav) and the path that fluid travels (when bleeding) from the crossover lines to the pistons is straight. So if you were to remove a crossover line and start poking around you could probably dislodge enough of the white brake fluid spooge (if that is what you have) to get a piston to pop out and then completely clean them and replace the dust boots & pressure seals. The buildup could also be in the crossover line?

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
(bleeding solo without a pressure bleeder was hardly ideal).
Do yourself a huge favor and purchase a Motive Powerbleeder ($40-60ish). It will also allow you to bleed the clutch effortlessly.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I was also gonna suggest internally corroded rubber brake lines. You're gonna have some major brake bleeding coming up anyway. So you might as well disconnect the rubber line from the caliper hard line, gently push the pedal and see what comes out of the rubber line. If nothing, then disconnect the other end of it, do the same test and I'll bet fluid spews out. Be careful with this stuff.
A guy that's done a lot of PCar work on another mailing list said the exact same thing, rear flex lines. Sounds like I'll be scrubing my shop floor again by the time this is all said and done (an I just cleaned the last of the big fluid stains off yesterday! DOH!)

Quick Reply: Rear calipers are 'toast' according to mechanic