Sponsored by:

993 to maserati gransport...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Traffic53
i think a proper test drive will go a long way to sorting out this infatuation.
Just be sure not to confuse love with infatuation. The GranSport got me on the trest drive. Its only after you live with it for a while that you realize its not all that you initially thought it was.

I agree with Bill, look at the 550. A friend had one and while they are both GTs, they're several echelons above the GranSport. Mind you, they don't have rear seats.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 193 Posts

Buy a used one, they are relative bargains on the used market. If you buy right, you can dump it if it doesn't do it for you without losing your shirt.

I have a hankering for a Aston Martin but I need a bigger garage!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROKN
I agree with Bill, look at the 550.
i hear you with this. however, it would be difficult to cope with this machine on a daily basis, including winter. further, the social baggage attached with that yellow shield make it next to impossible- not across the board, but for me. all that aside, i do indeed desire the 550.

we have an s6 wagon. that's a really nice car. you think the new s6 is worth having a look, aye? even at $80K?

i continue to like the idea of 2 doors, with an adult-useable back seat. just not excited about the 6 series though. CL is too big and not sporty enough. CLK black series, now that is worth discussing. if you're not sure what the black series clk is, look it up!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:19 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Being more of a GT car than a 993, I will say I have met up with three different Gransport owners and all of them said they would take my 928 GTS over one any day. They said the Gransport can do things with the paddle shifter you can't with the 5 speed box in my GTS but 2 of them were previous GTS owners and felt the GTS was a superior ride and cheaper to maintain. f that means anything to you.

I also felt the GTS had far more usable interior space than the Gransport.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:44 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by pjconner
I traded my 997S for a M5. I needed more space and the 911 was tough for every day duties with a family. Well, like ROKN, I lost interest quickly. The 500hp was unusuable for urban living and the car had no soul. 6 months later I traded again, 1 for 2. M5 for a Cayenne S Tit for daily and a 993 cab for fun. Couldn't be happier.

When I got the M5, everyone told me I would be back to the pcar soon. They were right.
Patrick,

I actually was quite surprised when you got your E60 M5. I had an E39 M5 and was a big fan, until the last 6 months of ownership. The incessant trips to the dealers left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I read a lot about the E60 M5, what with the Vanos oil line, Red Cogs of Death, SMG total failure, and the 4 second hunt for first gear, I would not claim my prize if I had won one in a lottery.

I had owned BMWs since 1985. I will not own one again.

CP
Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Patrick,

I actually was quite surprised when you got your E60 M5. I had an E39 M5 and was a big fan, until the last 6 months of ownership. The incessant trips to the dealers left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I read a lot about the E60 M5, what with the Vanos oil line, Red Cogs of Death, SMG total failure, and the 4 second hunt for first gear, I would not claim my prize if I had won one in a lottery.

I had owned BMWs since 1985. I will not own one again.

CP
Hey Pong,

I though you might post up. I didn't have any of the problems you mention, but I only had the car for 6 months. I think they were prevalent among the early build cars.

But you were right, I came right back to my roots. Like you, I have two p-cars! (although a little different variety)

Quick Reply: 993 to maserati gransport...