OBC display very dim -- Is it really only the bulb

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:30 AM
GRUWEZ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OBC display very dim -- Is it really only the bulb

Hi everybody,
For some odd reason my 993 Turbo's OBC display has turned extremely dim overnight. Switching on/off the headlamps or fiddling with the dash light dimmer does not make any difference whatsoever. I browsed through the web forums on Rennlist and also on some other sites. I seem to understand from some of these articles that a dim display can be caused by a failed bulb, even when the dash lights are not on. Is this correct? Before I pull my steering wheel and other obstructing parts, I would like to be sure.

Thanks for your feedback.
Rik Gruwez
Bruges, Belgium
Old 06-24-2007, 11:22 AM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Had my dealership look mine over. The mechanic said the bulb was fine, but the circuit board is supposedly two pieces that came apart(?) and needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

Haven't been back yet to see. Think the quote was $1200 replace or $400 to attempt to rebuild, no guarantees of it working when done.

Keep meaning to ask people that have had theirs out if the description sounds right.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:06 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same issue where my OBC was quite dim. I ended up replacing the fuse and it was fine. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:31 PM
GRUWEZ
Racer

I managed to remove the steering wheel, the airbag and the tachometer this afternoon. It was actually a lot easier than I had thought. With the help of the excellent photo-detailed instructions found on this forum it only took me 20 minutes to get the tachometer out. I am going to get me a bag of replacement bulbs later this week and then put everything back together. Hopefully that will solve the dim OBC display.

Regards,
Rik Gruwez
Brugge, Belgium
Old 06-25-2007, 12:43 PM
GRUWEZ
Racer

It turned out that the local auto parts store had the bulbs in stock. They are Osram Sylvania part number 2473MFX6. Actually those are 1.1 Watt whereas the original ones are 0.9 Watt. Same difference.

So this evening I put everything back together and, hey presto, I have a readable OBC display again!

Yes, it was only the bulb.

Regards,
Rik

Quick Reply: OBC display very dim -- Is it really only the bulb