LSD or not to LSD that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Thanks Bill...

always good info coming from you.

All I know is that Paul Guard was able to install 4 clutches in my factory LSD, replacing the original 2.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:18 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll differ from the rest - "Go Quaife" once you get one - you'll never go back! You know when it's off and you now when it's "ON"!! It takes a bit of a learning curve, but once you master it, you'll never go back!
Old 10-29-2007, 11:28 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by David Ray
I'll differ from the rest - "Go Quaife" once you get one - you'll never go back! You know when it's off and you now when it's "ON"!! It takes a bit of a learning curve, but once you master it, you'll never go back!
Mark and Chris both mentioned the reason why the clutch type is desireable for a tracked car.

They work under braking, you can brake deeper and harder w/ a higher lockup factor on deceleration.

Quiafes don't lock at all on decel., this is usually desireable for street and A/X

Yes, GT can rebuild a stock M220 lsd to closely emulate a Porsche motorsports lsd
Old 10-29-2007, 12:18 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I would not want an LSD that does nothing during braking, such as Quaife. To me, locking on decel is a full half of the benefit of LSD... stability during braking. I had Guards rebuild my 4-plate LSD and I'm happy with it.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
expensive. About $2,700 for a Guard LSD, and 5 to 10 hours of labor to install.

...so I had mine rebuilt.

Martin, I'll respectfully point out that reinstalling a rebuild, like you and I did, is not difficult, but adding an LSD to an non-LSD call is beyond "not difficult at all" since one would have a new diff housing, and therefore would have to reset the shims for the drive pinion and side bearings - an operation demanding precise, and tricky measurement. Do I think it would be worth it...YES!

Quick Reply: LSD or not to LSD that is the ?