Sponsored by:

993 Sport seat upgrade opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Damien Lewis
I shelled out the dough for the factory sport seats....and I love 'em! I wanted a more supportive seat, something rare and unusual...and I got that with the factory seats....but in the end, it's always just a matter of opinion.

Good luck on your decision!

Damien
+1 on the factory seats. And I only say this because I DO NOt do track duty. If it is a weekender maybe the factory sport seats would be the way to go. They are OE equipment and do help in resale IMHO. Of course i say that because I have a set in my car. Good luck in whatever you decide. Here is a pic of mine just to compare.

Mike

Last edited by Arena993; 12-21-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:59 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's really about what fits YOU. I test drove a 993 with the factory sports seats, and really didn't care for them. The look is fantastic, but the support (for me) wasn't. It would really suck to spend $2-3k+ on them sight unseen and realize you can't stand them once installed.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:06 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
My vote is for the 95 softback sport seat. More lateral support than the hardback version.
+1 These are my favorite.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:32 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
It's really about what fits YOU. I test drove a 993 with the factory sports seats, and really didn't care for them. The look is fantastic, but the support (for me) wasn't. It would really suck to spend $2-3k+ on them sight unseen and realize you can't stand them once installed.
+1 I agree. I rode in Brad 95' C4 this pass weekend and he has A8s in his C2S. They definitely hug you pretty tight. He was saying if you're bigger than a 40 reg jacket size then it will be tight. I'm about a 42 reg. I love the way the A8s look but I don't know if I would like them all that much on a long trip. The wings can be a PITA epecially for your passenger if they aren't use to getting in and out of the car. just my .02

That's why I love my Recaro Sportlines
Old 06-27-2007, 02:40 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,340 Posts

FYI the 964 RS/speedster pole position and GT3 seats are primarily the same seat.

I have the GT3 seats in my C2 and they are great seat but not comfortable over long periods of driving.

I just installed the Sportster CS seats in my turbo and I will post pictures tonight as I have others asking for some pics also. I tried the Sparco Milano Prestige and have spoken to a few who own the Missano's and from what I gather the CS is by far the most comfortable of them all. It has a strange flex to the upper head rest but does not flex at all while driving only if you push your head hard against the headrest. I believe this is what makes them so comfortable. They also have a solid cushion feel as though you are sitting in a fine leather chair. Very firm but shock absorbing.

Now the cons, They have a plastic back vs leather or CF. It may be paintable but would need some flex additive in the paint to prevent cracking and not 100% sure it will work. The leather in black does not match the factory leather. It has a silver black look vs a gloss black look of our interiors. Good news was i was easily able to dye the leather to match. You also need to remove the inside adjuster **** to make them fit and will need to slide the seat forward to adjust the back and then slide it back into position. Not an issue unless you have multiple drivers. If you are over 6'3" I doubt you will fit in these seats if you want to sit up straight and I find my knee hits the computer stalk occasionally where it never did before with the factory seats. I think this is because your butt sits low in the seat and the leg support is higher.

I will post pictures tonight, the project is not complete but I said I would and will do it for sure.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:00 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Default Pictures

As promised although not very good shots. I only have my sons cheap Olympus camera to work with.

As you can see the passenger seat has been dyed to match the interior vs the color of the leather from Recaro. The flash does not do it justice and the picture down low with the shifter **** shows the color most accurately.

These seats are extremely comfortable and are very supportive. If you are larger built like me these seats are perfect.

As you can see compared to my GT3 seats these have much more cushion albeit very firm and a bit of comfort room while still holding you in place.
Attached Images       
Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 PM
md11plt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony,

Those do look good. Did you pull the leather off of the seat to dye it? It looks like maybe it is not attached on one of the side bolsters. What was the process to dye the seat? Did you spray it on or wipe it?
Old 06-27-2007, 10:42 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by md11plt
Tony,

Those do look good. Did you pull the leather off of the seat to dye it? It looks like maybe it is not attached on one of the side bolsters. What was the process to dye the seat? Did you spray it on or wipe it?
I just had diner and was gong to send you some pics but I see you already have an idea of how it looks.

I used surflex http://www.colorplus.com/ Great product lasts forever and can be painted or sprayed on. Although most leathers are vat dyed this works well if you already have a base color, although I have seen people get great results changing the color completely and have it last for a long time. I did the seats in my fathers '75 450 SL MB about 10 years ago and the seats still look new today.

I actually used a cotton pad to apply it and it worked perfectly. I first taped off the back of the seat and applied it with the pad they supplied. If you call them they can custom mix any color to match your existing interior. A bit intimidating dyeing brand new seats but I like to jump in feet first and like most things they are easier than you think. The one seat took about 30 min including the taping.

Wish I had a better camera as these pictures don't do them justice.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:58 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice seats Anthony! Do you sit lower in these seats than in the stock seats. That's my main problem. I am 6,3 and I like to sit upright and not too far away from the SW. With the standard seats I hit the roofliner when driving over speedbumps and such. Maybe these can be mounted to sit a bit lower?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:09 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg H.
What is the difference between those RS seats and Pole Positions? They look the same to me.

Greg H.
RS seats have an "X" shaped brace on the backside (similar to GT3 seats) whereas Pole Positions are plain on the back side.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:18 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I am using Recaro sliders and recaro seat belt adapters. The seat belt adapters add an additional 3/8" of height and the recaro sliders are about 3/4" tall If you used Sparco sliders (About 5/8") and a Brey krause or weld on a seat belt adapter you could sit a little lower. I am 6'1" and I would just barely fit in the car with a helmet so I think at 6'3" you would sit about the same as you are now using the same hardware I am.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:22 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Ok, will look into this in time. Thanks Anthony. Aftermarket seats is the way to go, just havn't figured out which ones to get yet..
Old 06-28-2007, 04:34 PM
md11plt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Viggo,

Can you see if the CS seats are available with a Carbon Fiber back where you are? Recaro USA say they are only availabe in CF in Europe. There is a pic of a CS with the carbon on the web site, but no info that I can find.

Tom
Attached Images   
Old 06-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

As Brad suggested above, you should call Terry Griffin at Griffin Motorwerke in Berkeley (510/524-7447). Terry is pretty tight with the Recaro factory and if anyone can get them here, he can. Don't go into his shop and ask about his USGP pictures unless you have a spare hour. He had press access.

Greg H.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:29 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by md11plt
Viggo,

Can you see if the CS seats are available with a Carbon Fiber back where you are? Recaro USA say they are only availabe in CF in Europe. There is a pic of a CS with the carbon on the web site, but no info that I can find.

Tom
I'll check it out tomorrow (friday). It's in my intrest too, they look really cool..

Quick Reply: 993 Sport seat upgrade opinion?