Higher mileage '96 For Sale on Craigslist SF

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:55 AM
Butzi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Higher mileage '96 For Sale on Craigslist SF

No affiliation!

I live in the neighborhood and have seen this 993 parked on the street (it has a "residential parking permit" sticker, so it looks like it is NOT garaged).

At 132k miles, nice color, and a decent price ($24,900 with hopefully some wiggle-room!), a great "entry-level" 993, or potential track project (my future plans)...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/348162730.html

Again, I do not know the owner, but if a Rennlister contacts him/her and wants me and/or other local Rennlisters to swing by and check it out, I'll work it in my schedule. I can also suggest mechanics for a PPI.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:01 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

there you go steve. you could use that as your loaner.great price for a project car. nice color too..

Last edited by atan888; 06-12-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:20 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

That one may be a good deal with a great color combo!! If the top end rebuild is reputable, and I didnt already have one, I would certainly pursue this one.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:25 AM
umfan866
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

I checked this car out. It seems fine mechanically with lots of good receipts but the kicker is that it needs at minimum a repaint of the front bumper and front right fender with the treatment of an additional rust spot above the drivers door, or better, a complete paint job. The owner is asking more like 22.9 (firm) now, but if you factor in the price of a paint job (4-6k?) I don't think it is such a deal anymore, because for close to 30k you could get one with lower miles and no paint issues. However the 14k spent on clutch and top-end does add value. In any case, I am asking what people think of this car's value over in this thread (I later realized that this thread was discussing the same car) -- please feel free to contribute to the new thread (it has links to pics near the bottom):

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=craigslist
Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Needs too much work - you will be pushing 30K on this car. There should not be any rust on the galvanized body unless there has been damage. Get a PPI to fully understand the condition fo the car. Personlly, I'd stay away from it, but it sounds like it has struck a visceral chord with you. I recently purchased a 'good deal' 105K mile, very lightly optioned 95' 993. The body and intereior are original and undamaged and it is 100 bone stock. It DOES however need about 5K worth of maintenance done on it - plug wires, suspension stuff, and list goes on. In retrospect, it might have been a little better to pay 32K for a 45K mile car. The 84 - 89 Carrera is much cheaper to maintain and fix up.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by umfan866
Guys,

I checked this car out. It seems fine mechanically with lots of good receipts but the kicker is that it needs at minimum a repaint of the front bumper and front right fender with the treatment of an additional rust spot above the drivers door, or better, a complete paint job. The owner is asking more like 22.9 (firm) now, but if you factor in the price of a paint job (4-6k?) I don't think it is such a deal anymore, because for close to 30k you could get one with lower miles and no paint issues. However the 14k spent on clutch and top-end does add value. In any case, I am asking what people think of this car's value over in this thread (I later realized that this thread was discussing the same car) -- please feel free to contribute to the new thread (it has links to pics near the bottom):

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=craigslist
The aforementioned link loops back to...this thread that we are in right now.

Here is the correct link: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/368160-value-of-a-96-993-with-133k-and-needing-a-paint-job.html

Craigslist ad is down.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:56 AM
umfan866
Racer

Guys

Sorry about the bad link, OK here is the new thread I started on this same car ...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368160

The craigslist add is gone forever, looks like, and I never actually saw it advertised on craigslist, but from the description of the sign in the window for 24.9 and the location (San Francisco) I knew it must be the same car.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 AM
Butzi
Pro

Originally Posted by umfan866
Guys

Sorry about the bad link, OK here is the new thread I started on this same car ...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368160

The craigslist add is gone forever, looks like, and I never actually saw it advertised on craigslist, but from the description of the sign in the window for 24.9 and the location (San Francisco) I knew it must be the same car.
It is the same car. I haven't been looking on Craigslist for a while, I assumed it had been sold, not seeing it on the streets lately, guess I was wrong. I haven't read your other thread. Doing PPI?

Getting my C4S's paint fixed at Cars Dawydiak. Mucho $$$, but they are UBER-obsessive!!! Then again, insurance is paying...
Old 07-31-2007, 02:44 AM
allill
Drifting

hey Jeff,

When are you gonna have that car ready? Youu are missing out on the meets!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 02:53 AM
Butzi
Pro

5 weeks already!!!!! How many more? The HORROR!!!

I know, I'm missing out, but you will be blown away at the detail of work Dawydiak is doing on my car. I'm going to post details when it gets back, but here's one juicy tidbit:

After removing the rear bumper, they found a wiring harness that is installed only when using the vehicle to tow a trailer...? The rear bumper also had been cut-out around the bumperettes so that [supposedly] a towing mechanism could fit there... It was strange. Don't think the previous owner had a clue about it, either. They are removing all the extra wiring, and returning it to original.

This shop really is amazing, I'll tell you later about the door check strap fix, leaking oil line they took care of, broken/worn-out belts & pulleys they replaced. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for...

Quick Reply: Higher mileage '96 For Sale on Craigslist SF