Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dry start conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:25 AM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my car is parked on my driveway but is at a slight angle up and to the left so the front is higher than the back...would there be any issues here with oil and starting? I drive it atm only about once every week.

thanks

Lee
Old 06-13-2007, 09:56 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Shouldn't be an issue, Lee. At initial start (before the oil pressure is up) the engine is lubricated by oil left on the bearings. After a couple cranks the pump starts feeding the bearings. The oil pressure pump is fed out of the oil tank regardless of attitude so how you park won't affect this.

That's one of the benefits of a dry sump, in fact - the car can be doing all sorts of high-G maneuvers and the oil can't slosh away from the pump intake like it can in a conventional wet sump.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:46 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to hear additional thoughts re Mike's dry start technique. Do most listers perform a similar ritual after starting a car that has sat for several weeks? How much actual benefit does a DME-less start give? It seems very simple. Is it as effective as advertised?

Jack
Old 06-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

honestly, I think you guys are wasting your time doing this. The infintesimal wear that is occuring on a dry start is pretty academic considering most people don't keep cars past 150k miles. Even at that point, the bearings should still be in good shape.

I wouldn't worry about it, at all.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:57 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Interesting point. However, although I've only got 30 K miles on the odo I'm planning (currently) on keeping both cars indefinitely. What about if we plan on keeping the cars past 150 K ??

Any other thoughts?
Thanks

Jack
Old 06-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I wouldn't worry about it.

With the dry sump eliminating just about any chance of oil starvation under load, I would not be at all concerned with the tiny bit of start up bearing wear.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:27 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Thanks quad. BTW, what is your typical duration of time between starts??
Thanks

Jack
Old 06-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Jack,
Im ashamed to say that Im not a 993 owner (or even a porsche for that matter). But my experience with many different engines is that as long as you use a good synthetic oil with regular changes, you keep the oil at the appropriate level, and you wait until the car is warm before you get on it, bearings will be the least of your concerns.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:20 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Peter R.
IMO dry or wet sumps do not make a difference when running dry bearings is concerned. T
While visiting a few old WWII bombers, I learned that just before start-up they run these pre-oiling pumps for quite some time to make sure everything is all nice and lubed up before they attempt to fire the motors.

Granted, those are big 1-gagillion CC engines with more pistons than most starting grids but.. it was something I'd never seen done before. Not that I'm worried about it but.. what some sort of pre-oiling high-pressure pump be of any value, to combat dry-start damage?

Quick Reply: dry start conundrum