Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

For those with Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:02 AM
Butzi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know how it turns out. I'm planning on getting my 993 detailed, then (or simultaneously) get the clear bra treatment. I've already got the rock guards waiting to be installed.

If you don't mind, could you PM me the quotes & contact info of the installers? Cheers!
Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

mariano is good as well. he has done several of my cars in the past.

someone stated certain brand of film yellow. these film are improved every year. so last year's film is quite different than this years film. how do i know. i have 2-3 film job done every year.

finally, clear bra is for PROTECTION of the paint. this is not something you keep on forever. every few years, they get ding'd up and you have to replace them. that's that.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:35 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I just had Dan out from Valley Clear Bra – (818) 766-8291. He put a 3M cover on it without a seam across the front. It came out great. The best part, $325 installed and he came to my house! I have a Euro Turbo bumper without bumperetts. Nice guy, lots of experience.. Besides being a happy customer, no affiliation and so on.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Another vote for Mariano. He worked on my car after I replaced my regular front bumper with a turbo version. Satisfied with the results and the price was fair as well. No affiliation...yada yada yada.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:13 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

I got mine from clear armore complete for 800 bucks and they come to your home. very convenient.. and Im very satisfied with the work. they do all my cars.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
mariano is good as well. he has done several of my cars in the past.

someone stated certain brand of film yellow. these film are improved every year. so last year's film is quite different than this years film. how do i know. i have 2-3 film job done every year.

finally, clear bra is for PROTECTION of the paint. this is not something you keep on forever. every few years, they get ding'd up and you have to replace them. that's that.
I only say this because I have my entire Cayenne covered in the 3M and it has saved the doors 3 times one door twice in the past 6 months. The last sheet was replaced a few weeks ago and the previous back in November and you can see it had yellowed slightly when removed in this short period. 3M has not updated the film since the previous install.

Slight yellowing or not I can't praise the stuff enough it has saved my paint numerous times on each of my cars. The turbo was hit by a rock at high speed and it cut the film (which is hard to do) about 6"s up the hood. I thought the paint was ruined but when we removed the film there wasn't a mark. If I hadn't had the film on I would have been repainting the hood. Now going on 13 years of original paint that looks showroom new because of the film.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:32 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always had the bras put on my car by the local Porsche shop with great results ONLY after I fixed all the stone chips. On my Guards red 993, not a big deal if I did not get them all. On my black 993 I really had to make sure the chips were taken care of, otherwise the clear bra MAGNIFIES the chips. I use Dr. ColorChip with great success versus a repaint. I hope this helps.

Tom
Old 06-07-2007, 01:22 PM
M491
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
I only say this because I have my entire Cayenne covered in the 3M
You have your entire suv covered with a clear sticker?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:06 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M491
You have your entire suv covered with a clear sticker?

Well bumper, hood, and doors 2/3rds up. The CT is brought to the malls and people around here like most places could care if they damage your car. The clear bra has saved me 4 resprays so far. One case a woman in her S class MB slammed and ground the door into the side putting a quarter sized dent in the door about 1/2 " deep. You could see the mark from across the lot. I had a paintless dent guy remove the dent for $80 and then all I had to do was polish the MB paint off the clear bra. You cannot tell where the damage was. The other three times the plastic was damaged and needed to be replaced but the paint was never harmed.

Yes it is like having a giant condom or plastic seat covers on your car but well worth it. It also increases resale value.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:50 PM
M491
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
Well bumper, hood, and doors 2/3rds up. It also increases resale value.
cayennes have no resale value.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was some shop that was doing a tour around the country, installing clear-bras, but they kept changing the dates for the Wash. DC area. I finally gave up and bought the InvincaShield 3M kit for around $200 and installed it myself in about two hours. It doesn't cover my RS splitters, but the hood and bumper are well protected and it looks excellent. I got the thick adhesive plastic covers for my headlights from Pelican years ago for around $30.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M491
cayennes have no resale value.

Please user or looser. I am not going to get into a BS argument because you don't know what you are talking about. They are still holding their value better than most 996's. So my $85k CT is only worth $60k now but still a great vehicle non the less and will buy another when it is time. I saw this crap coming from your last post. Go bug the VW guys there more your speed.

Have a good day.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 PM
M491
Racer

996s have no resale value either.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:08 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
There was some shop that was doing a tour around the country, installing clear-bras, but they kept changing the dates for the Wash. DC area. I finally gave up and bought the InvincaShield 3M kit for around $200 and installed it myself in about two hours. It doesn't cover my RS splitters, but the hood and bumper are well protected and it looks excellent. I got the thick adhesive plastic covers for my headlights from Pelican years ago for around $30.
Rick,
was it real tricky to install the 3M invincashield?

George
Old 06-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope. But it helps if you've watched it be done before and I had. I had also put the Carrera script on my SC seen in my avatar, which is pretty much the same process. If you follow the instructions to the letter and take your time, you should have no problem. You can mess it up and do it four or five more times before you're no longer ahead in savings. Doing my lady's Mini was more difficult though. The dealer offered to do it for $795. Then they saw the clear bra on my 993, I told them I had done that and so they offered to do the Mini for $595. I figure they would have paid some contractor $300 and change and then kept the difference.

Quick Reply: For those with Clear Bra