993 Forum 1995-1998

Post Bilstein HDs blues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:09 PM
SJB993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll have a go at reducing the tyre pressures, and get the ball joint replaced so that the castor angle can be brought within tolerance. I'll also check the ride height measurements as per Jeff's DIY.

I have to say I was always sceptical that new shocks would make a "night and day" difference. I was more inclined to believe it was the post-HD-install re-alignment that made the biggest diffrence i.e. people had been driving around for years with cars whose alignment had gone out of spec. over time. Maybe I was right to be sceptical???

Anyway, on the bright side, I took the opportunity of having a 3 spoke 996 steering wheel fitted when the suspension was done - and at least I'm pleased with that!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:19 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SJB993
I have to say I was always sceptical that new shocks would make a "night and day" difference
Remember that most people posting on this forum live in the US and therefore suffer from the SUV ride height of standard 993s, versus the Euro height ride (1" lower) that you enjoy in the UK. When we install Bilstein HD's on that side of the pond, we usually also lower the car to the proper height at the same time. Just the HD's would probably not make a night & day difference, but for sure the HD's + lowering + new alignment do make a night & day difference. At least, it did for me.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:40 PM
SJB993
Pro

Hi Arnaud, I take your point - however, a mate of mine on this side of the pond with a 993 also convinced me it would be "night and day" - it was for him.

I'm not too bothered by the expense, my 11 year old factory shocks were probably due for replacement anyway. I just don't feel as safe as I think I should in a high performance sports car when I'm taking a spirited drive around our country lanes!

Thanks to you guys I've got a few things to try and/or check. I'm confident I'll get to the bottom of the problem before too much longer (I just hope the impact on my bank balance isn't too great).
Old 06-06-2007, 04:22 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chiming in too, tire pressures (I use 32.5f/35r), alignment and shocks all make a significant difference on these cars. I have a C2, so even less weight over the front end than yours, and my car is rock solid at speed. I do feel that since the front end is light that it needs additional damping than the rear. As I'm running pss9's, I have my fronts at full stiff and rears at one click less than full stiff. Maybe you should've gotten pss9's. Kidding, I'm sure you'll get it right.

Further note, I don't think the rake has much effect on things. I've had the fronts a little higher than the rears and now, as you may be able to see in my avatar, I'm about the same f/r (as measured at the fenders) and the car was equally stable either way.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:40 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

In addition to checking the a-arms, do not forget to check the tie-rod ends. They seem to start to fail as early as 60k miles for some and they fail very gradually, so you hardly notice it at first. The front just seems to be very vague and spongy.

Best of luck sorting it out.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,797 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Louis - do you have the same size tryes/wheels as me? I'll give the lower rear pressure a try.
Yes, exactly the same. Good input has been provided so far. Control arms and alignment should be checked. There is another possible culprit that I came up with while reading the other posts. This is a long shot but here it goes anyway. These cars are indeed light in the front and even lighter when the gas tank is close to empty. Driving fast or taking fast turns with a near empty tank can make a world of difference in handling. Ask me how I know...Is this post based on one run and if so, how full/empty was your tank?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I suspect that the measures Gert supplied to you were intended to initially set the adjuster/locknut correctly on the shock itself. This 'best approximation' is to allow the initial install be (nearly) correct for the specified heights at the chassis measuring points: final heights require some tweaking of the adjusters, as each car is somewhat different.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:55 AM
SJB993
Pro

Thanks for the continuing suggestions guys.

Tom - how would I establish if there is wear in the control arm bushes or tie rod ends?

Louis - the tank was full, and I made sure it was (as per the instruction in the workshop manual) that it was full when the alignment was done.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:29 AM
deltawedge
Racer

I'll second the tie rod (both inner and outer) suggestion. I had a bit of wander at highway speeds and replaced the tie rods and was pleasantly surprised at the improvement. The outer tie rod on the driver side had the rubber bushing separated from the metal and the passenger side had a failed inner rod.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:06 PM
SJB993
Pro

I'm beginning to wonder just what difference Bilsteins actually make. It seems that most of people's problems have been down to bad alignment, worn tie rod ends, worn control arms, tire pressures, etc. etc.

Only joking (I think?).
Old 06-10-2007, 05:20 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

New shocks (HDs or otherwise) do make a difference when your current ones are as dead as mine were :-) The angels didn't sing first time I drove the car but it's lost a good deal of nervousness.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:24 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I second and third checking air pressures. The factory called 44 is way too much, and unless you use hydrogen, when it heats up, you could be running close to 50 psi. I believe that Porsche decided this to be a good pressure for good MPG rating, but is it sure feels like you are ice skating when you run these pressures.

I found that the 993 is very susceptible to air pressures, more so than any other car that I have ever owned.

It took me literally a couple of months of trying different front / rear pressures until I found a combination that worked for me. Brand of tire makes a big difference too.

BTW, my magic number is 32 front and 36 rear.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Intermediate

Hi, I have similar symptom you are describing. I found and fixed one issue - the (993-343-018-00-M100) Shock Mount Flange it had some play in the bearing on and stated to click as I was pulling up the driveway. IT was hard to diagnose.
I replaced it and car got much more stable, however there is still a little bit of directional instability left. I will be replacing the right side Shock Mount Flange if this doesn't fix it - I will turn to the ball joints. Shock Mount Flanges are really easy to replace - you do not need to disconnect lower shock mounts so there is no need for alignment - cost of the part is $100.
Please let me know if you find ball joints to be a source of your issues.
Mike
Old 06-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks again Geolab.

I've just read through Jeff's DIT and now I'm confused.

He shows the the measurement being taken between points on the chassis and the ground, whereas the measurements in Gert's DIY are taken between points on the shock itself (i.e. the bottom of its strut tube and the adjustable spring holder). However both sets of dimensions are the same - 144mm and 127mm.

I'm now wondering whether Gert's DIY (which is what the mechanic used to fit the shocks) is wrong?

I'll make the measurements where Jeff says (I note that his diagrams are from the workshop manual, so I guess they must be right).

BTW - Jeff's range of fender heights (25.25" - 25.75" +/- 0.4") means that my heights are about right. He does say the rear should be around 0.25" lower than the front - but given a 0.4" tolerance on the heights, maybe that isn't too important???
Just getting around to reading this thread, there are (2) separate measurements, the ones from Gert's install on the actual shock are to help you get close to the correct ride height. After the install is done and you've had a chance to drive around the block then you will check the ride height measurements from Jeff's DIY. It is far better to take the measurements from the frame points Jeff points out than to take the measurements to the fenders.

Basically, Gert's measurements are prior to installing the shock on the car, Jeff's are for after the shocks are installed. Does this clear that up?

Hope you get it worked out.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:38 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
I would reduce the pressure in the front as well. Play around with pressures in the 32 to 34 psi range. Remember, the car has very little weight on the front end and will never be as inherently stable as a well balanced front-engine rear-drive car.
+1 This will make a massive difference to how your car behaves. This is what I used with SO3's and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's when I had my 993 Targa.

Quick Reply: Post Bilstein HDs blues.