Sponsored by:

993 vs 951..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 02:27 AM
Randall Key
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 vs 951..?

Gents, I need your guidance. I currently have a 951 that is a beautful, fun car. I drive it mainly on the street with high hopes of eventually making it out for another track day. I found a '95 993 cab that looks like it's off the showroom floor, with 95k miles, for $25,500. Is that a fair price, and will I be satisfied going from a turbo car to the N.A. and elegant 993? Also, am I safe to assume that there shouldn't be much more depreciation on this sought-after car? Thanks guys!

Last edited by Randall Key; 06-05-2007 at 02:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:24 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Sorry to jump in from the other side so to speak, but they are 2 very different cars you're deciding about. I agree that if you can keep both that would be ideal. If not then you have to decide whether you want a bit of a sunny day cruiser being the 993 or something you can actually take to the track and test yourself with. I know we're all biased to our own 'breed' but you have to decide if something much newer, shiny, convertible etc is going to slake your thirst if and when you get rid of the 951. I know which one is for me, but if you don't really care that much about going to the track then maybe the appeal of the more tactile rear engine air cooled 993 is for you.
Good luck. Sounds like a nice choice either way.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:10 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

I would say that at that price, it is a steal. Grab it and run. The seller does not know what the value is and you end up with additional cash to make some mods to the car, which you will want to make.
Bottom line, buy it and drive it like you stole it!
Ron
Old 06-05-2007, 02:05 PM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have both, so I’ll give my perspective. The 951 served as my DD for the last 11 years and was retired to backup duty when I bought a 993 C2 in late January. The 951 has a few tweaks (chipped, cat bypass pipe, S2 gearbox, 250lb front springs, Koni sports, 968 M030 front ARB, and a Weltmeister rear ARB) whereas the 993 is stock…for now.

Acceleration: In a drag race to 100mph, my guess is that the cars are actually pretty close, however, in the cut and thrust of daily driving, the 951 feels much faster. When the boost hits in the midrange, you receive a healthy push in the back, but then the fun begins to tail off as the revs increase. In fact, there really isn’t much point in taking the engine past 6000rpm. The 993 is the opposite experience. Yes, there is more torque off idle, but the acceleration doesn’t really become interesting until you approach 5000rpm. From that point on, it’s a reasonably quick car and it sounds fantastic, especially next to the more pedestrian sonic experience of the 951.

Handling: Two very different vehicles. The 951 is the more neutral car and more confidence inspiring, but the 993 is more engaging. Turn in and steering feel are much better in the rear engine car (although the 951 steering has better weight) and it is more responsive to changes in throttle position.

Brakes: The 951 has good brakes, but the 993 is in a different league. The pedal feel and retardation abilities are fantastic.

Usability/livability: The older car has vastly better ergonomics and much better ventilation. It is also roomier and offers far more luggage space. The 993 counters with better seats, an easy to use sunroof, and better build quality.

Fun: For me, this is the most important factor. Which car would I rather drive? I love the 951 and plan to keep it indefinitely, but the 993 is more visceral, more intimate, and ultimately more engaging. It is the one I gravitate towards when I need to run an errand on the weekend and the Westfield is either down for another round of upgrades, or it isn’t appropriate for that particular trip. If you have the room for both, then they certainly make a great pair.

-John

Old 06-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Randall Key
5th Gear

Thanks very much guys...I really appreciate your guidance. They are both such sexy cars, and I will give some serious thought to keeping both.

Btw John, I am in love with your garage!!! :]
Old 06-05-2007, 06:20 PM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Randall, we like it and its inhabitants

Go drive a 993 and let us know what you think.

-John
Old 06-05-2007, 06:44 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 247 Posts

I had a 951 many moons ago..two different sensations..with the C2S, you drop back and have a push sensation..and when the back hangs out..wow..that you wont get in the 951..
Old 06-05-2007, 06:53 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

There really is nothing like the 911 experience (good or bad). Take it for a drive and then you will know if it's what you really want.

Personally, I'd be on that deal like nobody's business. What color is it?

I suggest you get an independant PPI done. When I bought mine the PPI alerted me to a couple of things I wanted to take care of right away.. also make sure the engine harness recall has been done (the local Porsche dealer here checked it for free, which they should do since it's a saftey recall of some sort).

Other than that.. enjoy the sun! My next P-car will be a drop-top, unless I luck into buying a GT3.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:12 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned and driven both extensively on and off the track. They're both incredible cars. I regret selling the 951, but the 993 is a worthy replacement. The "grin factor" is really apples to oranges. Both offer something the other doesn't have.

Quick Reply: 993 vs 951..?