993 Forum 1995-1998

Horn Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:47 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Horn Installation

A while ago I purchased a compact Italian-made horn from Griot's Garage. I removed the stock trumpet horns and installed the new horn. That was several months ago. Last night I put the trumpets back in, keeping the new horn in place. I just wanted to get more volume. You can never have too much, IMHO.

I just couldn't close it up without taking pictures to post here, so here you see the final installation. I didn't take any pics along the way, as I was never intending to write a DIY.

This is the right front wheel well, looking toward the front of the car, with the liner removed, obviously. You can see the stock trumpets and my the Griot's red horn, and the wiring that connects them, as well as the back side of the headlight bucket and a bit of my lovely M030 springs .

I used little "Y" spade adapters so I could put two sets of wires on one of the horn's connectors - the original wires plus the extra ones that run down to the new horn. Cable ties keep things fairly neat.

Looking up at an angle, you can barely make out the L bracket that I mounted the horn on. It is held to the car with a bolt that holds the fender mounting leg thing. The white goop on the horn is some silicon adhesive caulking (will dry clear) to keep the red plastic part of the horn from vibrating. It is not a super rigid connection to the aluminum casing of the horn body.

It sounds a bit odd with both horns going together, but hey, it's that much louder, and that much more obnoxious. Which is exactly what I want in a horn. I must say (and I did, in an earlier thread) that the stock trumpet horns alone do not impress.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:18 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that one of those ridiculously loud train horns? I really need one of those for all the @#$@?@# bus and taxi drivers in Hong Kong
Old 05-29-2007, 12:03 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

I've seem some of those on line. Maybe it is possible to have too much. I don't want to make people jump out of their seats, just out of my lane. Or just get going when the light turns green. My ideal horn would be whatever it is they put on fire trucks.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great post! I just received the Girot's horn (but the black compact one). Did you use the relay that came with the horn or just wire it in-line with the stock horns?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 906 Likes on 545 Posts

I bought the red compact one and had it installed. Mechanic said he had to fashion a bracket to hold it, but the wires required no relay. Connected to the ones already in place, which go to an existing relay. Great sound.

Chuck, I thought the red one was the compact one. Bruce, would the larger black horn have fit in that space?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:00 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

The black one is the smaller one.

I did not use the included relay, since the car already uses a relay to actuate the horn.

Now that I have both horns installed, I do worry (a litte) about pulling too much current. Have not blown the horn fuse yet!
Old 05-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

The red is the "compact", but the black is the "super compact". So hopefully, it will be easier to fit.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77839
Old 05-31-2007, 05:32 PM
HK911
Advanced

I’m Confused.....do the 993 come with trumpet horns? I know my 1989 911 did, but my 993 sounds nothing like a trumpet horn.

Quick Reply: Horn Installation