Sponsored by:

Orbital Polisher

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:20 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I found this from autopia, and is what I bought. Otherwise you are putting together the kit yourself...PITA.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...e9e+1180074066 Best of all I like that the story I heard is this is some hardware store where the guy happened to see on autopia all these guys going to 3 different stores for all the parts of the "kit". He put the kit together, posted on autopia, and sold like 2000 of them as of a couple years ago. I laugh when I think about Porter Cable sales meetings trying to figure out the sales figures...

I used Lake Country pads in the 6" velcro back (7.5" pad cuz I like the shaping). You can't burn through your paint with this thing even if you stood on it. The key to it is less about the machine and more about the prep. Here is what I did, as well as what I did for the PC. http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...d-longish.html

Buy it from Coastal IMHO, then go have fun.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:48 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought a ryobi on sale for 19$,@ Home Despot. its smaller than my10" two handed orbital i used for the plane. i use finisit[3m] and then Collinites#885 marine and aviation fleetwax.. i dont buy the applicator bonnets, i use a wife rejected bath towel for application, under the buffer head, a foot square or so and the finisit shines with the buffer. I like the smaller 6"ryobi, it handles the boot shape at the creases and the rear deck very well. The finisitt is amazing stuff, but it has no wax protection. ds
Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Griots is crap IMHO.

www.carcareonline.com

good produxts here , also tech articles
Old 05-25-2007, 09:26 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hal m
I have been wanting to get one of these machines to clean up some swirl marks and make waxing easier.

I know Porter Cable was the gold standard for these products and Griots used to sell them. Now Griots is selling a private label product.

What is the boards wisdom on these machines and which one should I buy and from whom.

Thanks!
I have used both an orbital polisher (Porter Cable) and a rotary unit. While the orbital did a very good job (using Griot's Machine polish), the rotary results were far far better. The risk is burning the paint with the rotary; when I first got it I practised using different speeds and pressure on my beater car until I felt comfortable using it. The results on the 993 were a higher gloss and far fewer surface scratches with the rotary.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 PM
V
Rennlist Member

I second Cyclo. Its the best stuff around. No affil. Good with double pads to aviod holograms etc.. If you are looking at a 1 pad machine, I would recommend FESTOOL. Outstanding as well.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:15 PM
V
Rennlist Member

FESTOOL RAP 150 to be precise.

Quick Reply: Orbital Polisher