993 Forum 1995-1998

Considering a Complete Re-spray...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,808 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
Korva. Also installing the RS splitters while we are at it. New seals and everything. So the entire front end gets new paint all the way and including the windshield frame and mirrors. Then the rear bumper gets new paint to repair the scratch. Thanks to ICBC the total bill for this will be less than $1000.00 bucks

The car will be ready for the Sun Peaks Weekend!
Excellent! Did they recommend skipping the rear fenders and engine lid? I presume they're blending to the doors?

Korva will do an excellent job but keep on them about the importance of having the car ready for Sun Peaks because they always seem to be running anywhere from one to three weeks late.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:47 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a complete restorative "respray"of my Pacific Blau 82SC that cost around 8k 5 years ago. Mechanically the car was unmodified, stock with low miles. The previous owner lived around gravel roads where the car was pelted hence the hood and front of the car looked like a night sky with hundreds of stone chips. Be aware, that the depth of these chips will require a topical strip of paint in order to get to an flat even substrate. I dismantled the rest of the car to save some money and the shop staff scuffed and prepared the rest of the car, even erasing some factory assembly flaws.

The bulk of the cost lies in the preparation. Since it was being painted the same color, the paint cut line was set at the factory body seams inside the door jambs or underneath the weather seals.

In the end the paint was flawless with enough coats of clear to color sand to dead flat. The cost includes the shop staff reassembly as I didn't want to risk damaging the finish doing myself. Re-painting this car increased my pride in ownership more than concern for future resale value, however the attention and quality that I did pay for will certainly help keep it up.
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2008, 02:45 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike993c2s
Nice! Your car looks sweet. How many different wheels do you have on your car?
Thanks. I purchased the boxster wheels with tires (w/ <1200 miles on them) for less than I could replace just my tires on another set of wheels, and this gave me time to get the Champions refinished. I am a bit embarrassed to admit how many sets of wheels that actually I have for the car, but the Champions are staying on . . . at least for now !!!

Quick Reply: Considering a Complete Re-spray...