993 Forum 1995-1998

Considering a Complete Re-spray...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:50 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leeshephard
my car has had a full respray, done by the PO..but he did not replace ANY stickers...does anyone know if its possible to get another full set? including the VIN number one on the door frame?
I'm not sure if Porsche would re-print a vin sticker, but you can purchase a lot of the stickers found in the engine bay on Pelican Parts. Not surprisingly, they're expensive.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:51 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tj90
Go for it. If I had the funds I would complete respray as well. Frankly the cars are getting older, why not enjoy it with fresh paint job. Honestly, I been to a few porsche gatherings and I know Im not the only 993 that could use some new paint...
This was an old thread that got resurrected from the dead, but I did put my car in for a total respray. About a month after I put this thread up, I had a slight mishap, that helped me make up my mind. See HERE. I took advantage of the opportunity to add a Euro Turbo front bumper and a TT tail, delete the headlight washers and rain gutters, add 'S' ducts and clear corners, etc... and I love the new look! See avatar for a preview. Now that the paint on the front end has had a bit of time to cure, it is getting the clear bra treatment. I am not sure when I will get the opportunity, but I will take some pictures and post them when I get a chance. Meanwhile, it is dumping snow here today.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:23 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

The paint is original only once so to me, a potential buyer, the more original paint you have on the car the higher the value of your car in my mind, and the less explantions you'll have to give down the road.

So my preference would be to respray only what needs to be done, not the whole car with the caveat that the painter is going to take his time and match up the paint to your car, not just mix up a batch of the appropriate paint code.

And some quality before pics would be good to have in file.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:23 PM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Jeff:

Where did u purchse the turbo front bumper and the s airduct?
Old 12-07-2007, 06:33 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by xcusemi
Jeff:

Where did u purchse the turbo front bumper and the s airduct?
I got a US spec TT bumper from a fellow rennlister (Cheap) and filled the bumperette holes. DPS Motorsports sells new one for $1295. I bought oem 'S' ducts without the lights, from msroadrace on ebAY for $99. I have some PIAA driving lights that I plan to use instead of the worthless fogs.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:14 PM
xcusemi
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pilot!! I will keep an eye on the classify forum to see if I can get a cheap Turbo bumper. By the way, what would you consider cheap?
Old 12-07-2007, 07:58 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by xcusemi
...By the way, what would you consider cheap?
Low enough that you can fill in the bumperette holes, buy the 'S' ducts and get it sprayed, while spending less than the cost of buying just the bumper new! Of course, your mileage may vary!
Old 07-29-2008, 12:49 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

I know a few of you have seen my car, but I thought I would follow up my original post with some pictures. A month after my original post, I had a little mis-hap that I posted about HERE which helped me decide to spray the entire car. Since I was going for a complete respray, I decided to delete the Rain gutters, Sunroof, Headlight washers, added a turbo front bumper w/o the bumperettes, S-ducts and a TT-tail. I also finally got my Champions RG5's mounted. I would tell you the exterior is done, but I would be lying if I said that, because I now have a Turbo S tail and front lip in the garage, but my wallet has to recover a bit first. . . and after that I'll start on the interior !
Attached Images     
Old 07-29-2008, 02:55 AM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Nice! Your car looks sweet. How many different wheels do you have on your car?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:02 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by prshguy
The paint is original only once so to me, a potential buyer, the more original paint you have on the car the higher the value of your car in my mind, and the less explantions you'll have to give down the road.
Well the reality here is that our cars are aging and with use you have rock chips etc. Another reality is, that no matter what we say here, when someone looks at your car that is for sale, they want/expect a mint, zero stone chip car. While this may seem ridiculous and it is, my car did not sell on account of stone chips!

So now she is getting an entire respray as we speak and she is going to look brand new again! Only this time she is not for sale anymore
Old 07-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,806 Likes on 1,714 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
So now she is getting an entire respray as we speak and she is going to look brand new again! Only this time she is not for sale anymore
Good move!

Who is doing the work?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:06 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks great. This fall, I'm getting the whole nose of my car resprayed.

95K miles + black = lots and lots of highly visible stone chips.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:14 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tj90
Go for it. If I had the funds I would complete respray as well. Frankly the cars are getting older, why not enjoy it with fresh paint job. Honestly, I been to a few porsche gatherings and I know Im not the only 993 that could use some new paint...
Document it well, pictures before and after, inspection/PPI before.

I don't know anything about the car buying/selling business, but I would be more suspicious if I took a paint gauge and saw that there was a patchy respray with different thicknesses.

Glad you're going for the whole deal. Enjoy your gorgeous car!

Last edited by early_grayce; 07-29-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: typos
Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Good move!

Who is doing the work?
Korva. Also installing the RS splitters while we are at it. New seals and everything. So the entire front end gets new paint all the way and including the windshield frame and mirrors. Then the rear bumper gets new paint to repair the scratch. Thanks to ICBC the total bill for this will be less than $1000.00 bucks

The car will be ready for the Sun Peaks Weekend!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:39 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
That looks great. This fall, I'm getting the whole nose of my car resprayed.

95K miles + black = lots and lots of highly visible stone chips.

Noah,
Have you picked a shop for this?

Andreas

Quick Reply: Considering a Complete Re-spray...