Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Price check and advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:30 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 403 Posts

If the options tag is still on the hood, it's the original hood. (white sticker located about a foot from the latch.) Carfax might reveal something about the mystery surrounding the fenders, but if the hood is original, I wouldn't think there would be too many ways to wreck two fenders without trashing the hood. If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it especially if your body guy gives it a thumbs up.

Assuming that the issue with the fenders turns out to be nothing more than a minor one, I'd call it a pretty good trade. Near-max $$ for your vehicle and about a low as one could get buying the 993 outright.

Everywhere I know of, sales tax is based on the difference between the trade-in and the car you're purchasing, so in your case the taxable amount would be $23K for a total out-of-pocket of about $24.5K after tax.

Good Luck.

Last edited by jimbo3; 05-23-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy It

Says the VA Peanut Gallery....you know what you are getting:

(1) Maxing out on the value of the Ranger Rover, and

(2) Getting a great daily driver dirt cheap, likely below auction wholesale

Frankly I think you should feel guilty about the financial beating you are about to lay on the seller. I would feel moved to make a donation to his favorite charity and or help his suffering children with school expenses......

I am making a note to self to not ever attempt to sell you a Porsche....I would be fortunate to walk away with enough change for a bus token

Yes we did attend the same University and give me a call at your convenience

Ciao
Old 05-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

$33k out the door plus off-loading the RR??? ACT NOW!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:19 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Palladio-- How 'bout a peek of blue over cashmere to get you pumped!...
Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2007, 10:48 PM
mdr
Intermediate

97 993 for $33k and trade in your RR is like winning a lottery. If you don't buy it, someone will very soon, and afterwards, you will not find such luck again.

best,
ylk
Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 AM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all the advice here. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it. To answer a few questions, yes the car was clearly in a wreck. If it was just a case of respraying a bumper or some quarter panels due to cosmetic damage, I wouldn't have even bothered posting about it. There is still a slight buckle (very slight) inside the left front fender, so I know that's been bent. The right front fender looks clean on the inside, but was definitely removed at some point. The hood was the interesting part. The body guy I went to has been running a high end shop specializing in Porsches for 20 years. He thought the car was sound but was scratching his head about the hood. The stickers looked good, but clearly the bumper and both quarters had been damaged and off the car. All he could figure was that someone very carefully removed the stickers and re-applied them, or that the car had one bizarre wreck or two smaller ones damaging both quarters but not the hood. The fact that they weren't careful enough to replace a bolt on a quarter panel, and that the respray was somewhat marginal, made us both doubt that the person had the attention to detail to fudge the hood sticker that well. So the world may never know....

So my bottom line question is basically whether or not I'm a fool for paying 31K for this car knowing it was in a wreck and had the front quarters off. It sound like everyone here is saying that at that price and with my trade, I'm not getting taken to the cleaners. Drop me a few more posts that I am not an idiot, so I won't feel like one when I buy the car tomorrow. I can't help wanting the damn thing as it is a blue/cashmere 993. After spending have the day driving it, I just plain wanted it. I've driven a bunch of 996's lately and none of them gave me the same rush. I'd guess I'd better lay low on the 996 board after saying that.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 AM
dmw
Instructor

Default Don't buy it.

Walk away. And then send me the phone number of the dealer so I can buy it!

Two words: BUY IT!
Old 05-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Sounds as though you're getting a phenomenal deal. It's time to stop thinking and act. Cars get exposed to damage when they're on the road and a small fender bender is not the big deal that most people make it out to be, especially if properly fixed. I think the hood is the tell tale that the damage was probably minor from the information you've provided and without being able to look at it. Note that these cars are weak in the front and even relatively light impact can cause the frame to bend. If no one is telling you that it looks like the car had frame damage or that the tub has been replaced, it was likely a light impact. At the end of the day, you've got to ask yourself if you'll feel good about your purchase given what you know. If you don't, walk away...and let someone else take that DEAL.

PS - I know a turbo that rear-ended another car and incurred $60k worth of damage. It was properly fixed (no, not salvaged, fixed). The car looks and feels like new.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:38 AM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

It sounds like a bargain to me. Maybe be it was a simple fender bender. Is it the original owner that still has the car? Ask if it was hit. Maybe you can get the car for less then $33k.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:50 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by CarmG993
It sounds like a bargain to me. Maybe be it was a simple fender bender. Is it the original owner that still has the car? Ask if it was hit. Maybe you can get the car for less then $33k.
He is...he's getting it for $31k. $33k is tax in, which shouldn't even be discussed here to avoid confusion.

Another thought on this vain: Agree to buy the car on the condition that you get to speak to the owner before you finalize the purchase to qualify damage. Maybe he can even tell you where it was fixed or have a copy of the insurance claim.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:25 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

How does it drive/feel compared to other 993's, especially at speed? If it feels tight, whatever happened to it was probably not that serious. (Did your mechanic drive it? What did he think? these guys drive so many of these cars they can usually tell when it feels "off").

The price is good enough that if it feels tight to you I'd pull the trigger. I think the depreciation curve on that car has flattened out quite a bit at that price point.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:59 AM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
He is...he's getting it for $31k. $33k is tax in, which shouldn't even be discussed here to avoid confusion.

Another thought on this vain: Agree to buy the car on the condition that you get to speak to the owner before you finalize the purchase to qualify damage. Maybe he can even tell you where it was fixed or have a copy of the insurance claim.
Aready asked to speak with the owner directly and got nowhere. From what I'm hearing from contacts at the dealer (and I have friends that have done business with this dealership for 15 years so it's probably accurate info), the car belongs to the owner's friend and he wants no part of the sale. He came down in price as far as he's going to. I think they took the car on consignment only because of this situation. Today I told them I had no problem going forward with the deal if I could just talk to the owner briefly to determine what had happened to the car. No dice. I did find out that they think the car was in one accident back in 1998, right after he bought the car, so at least he's been driving it all this time with no major issues.

The car feels really tight, no rattles and great in general. My PPI guy took it out for a fairly hard drive and really liked the car. The only issues were tire noise from the front end and some pull to the left at speed. My only negative impressions were the same - alignment and tracking felt a bit off at speed. The PPI guy thought that it could be solved with new and/or better matched front tires (currently the car is wearing some fairly cupped Contis in the front and new Toyos in the rear) and an alignment. So I think tomorrow I will tell the dealer that I'm fine with the terms, but that I want them to throw in some new Toyos on the front, to do a balance/alignment and give me one more test drive. If the car feels totally solid then, I won't be that worried about other front end issues.

Does this sound reasonable?
Old 05-24-2007, 02:09 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure hope you don't loose this car!! two front tires? what 500 bucks? BUY THE CAR before it goes away, or tell me what dealership has it. I won't hesitate.......
Old 05-24-2007, 07:56 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 676 Likes on 403 Posts

The PO's name and address is on the title, which you'll get if/when you buy the car. If/when you buy the car, contact the PO to document what happened and where it was repaired. Get invoices from the shop, if you can. Put all documents in the service file.

I did just that when purchasing mine as the service records the dealer had were spotty and the PO helped me re-construct them. Generally, one P-car owner (or PO) will gladly help another.

You can always re-shoot any marginal paint on the fenders when you install the Euro front bumper...

-Jim
Old 05-24-2007, 09:14 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd say wholeheartedly, go for it. It's a very good price, a desirable color combo/options, and it seems to check out. The bodywork on an eleven year old vehicle should not faze a buyer unless there was frame damage...that's a different story.

Considering that you'll be driving it daily, it's a great choice for you. Paying a lot more money for a very low-mileage example would not be cost-effective, because you'd rapidly depreciate that kind of car with daily use.

It sounds like you've done your homework. Good luck!!!

Quick Reply: Price check and advice needed