Sponsored by:

Chrome Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:30 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Chrome Wheel Question

Once a wheel has been chromed, can you take it back to the OEM color and look. Also, I heard that the chrome process will weaken the wheel???

I just bought a car that has chrome wheels, the claim is "factory" but I think not.

Am I better off just buying another set of wheels and finding someone who appreciates the chrome wheels and sell them?

Last edited by clubrcr; 05-22-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you get that widebody cab? If so, did any of the history of how it was converted come with it?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought a set of chromed Fuchs for my SC and had them cleaned and polished. Never had any problems with them, but they only saw DEs and no real track use. They were primarily street use. so I guess it depends. It is probably not advised to use a pre-chromed wheel that has been subsequently dipped in acid to have the chrome removed for track use, but on the street should be OK.

Might be a confusion between "Factory" and "Dealer". Perhaps the dealer had them chromed.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:46 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joe S.
Did you get that widebody cab? If so, did any of the history of how it was converted come with it?

Yes, it seems the PPI came back good and I am looking to get it shipped.

I spoke to Beverly Hills Porsche and PCNA about the car. I am suppose to get more detailed information from BH Porsche, but PCNA told me the cars were ordered as cabs with special options like "Carrera S" aluminum door sills and the dealer had them converted to the widebodies.

When I get more information I will let everyone know about it.

Thanks for asking.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:08 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
Once a wheel has been chromed, can you take it back to the OEM color and look. Also, I heard that the chrome process will weaken the wheel???

I just bought a car that has chrome wheels, the claim is "factory" but I think not.

Am I better off just buying another set of wheels and finding someone who appreciates the chrome wheels and sell them?
I am pretty sure there is no coming back from chrome alloy wheels. The process deteriorates the surface. From what I have heard Porsche's alloy is particularly "soft" and the chrome plating process does a real number on them. That said, I don't think chrome wheels are an issue except for hollow spoke twists... see other threads on this. Bad news.
Also, from what have read Porsche didn't chrome any of their alloys. The speculation is that some dealers had wheels chromed on occasion for some buyers.
Fuchs are steel and a different story.

So, that's all I got. I'm sure someone here will know more...
Old 05-22-2007, 11:49 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Fuchs are steel and a different story.

Fuchs are forged aluminum. The forging process made for a very sturdy yet
light weight wheel. They seemed to be considerably lighter than
today's cast wheels. I guess the process became too costly which is why
they stopped making them.

Chroming was never available from the factory to the best of my knowledge.
The wheels on the Turbo S are unpainted. They're just clear coated over a
natural finish. An interesting and attractive variation.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:40 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister

Fuchs are forged aluminum. The forging process made for a very sturdy yet
light weight wheel. They seemed to be considerably lighter than
today's cast wheels. I guess the process became too costly which is why
they stopped making them.

Chroming was never available from the factory to the best of my knowledge.
The wheels on the Turbo S are unpainted. They're just clear coated over a
natural finish. An interesting and attractive variation.
whoops. obviously I am confused.
Thanks for the correction.
Anyhow, to the original question, the later alloys, from what I have read, can't be stripped and repainted. I'd guess it would be cost prohibitive even if you could get them back.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:50 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Porsche Aluminum Road Wheels

Model Group

All 4

Part Identifier Number

4410 9011
ATTENTION: Service Manager/Service Technician

This bulletin supersedes Technical Bulletin Group 4, Number 8705, Book D, page 163.

Models Affected: All

General Information: Porsche does not approve of chrome plating Porsche aluminum road wheels.

Corrosion tests by PAG on chrome plated aluminum wheels have shown heavy pitting, especially with winter use.

The high difference in potential between the base metal of the wheel and the plating material (chrome, nickel) may cause pitting and could reduce wheel strength.

Polishing road wheels is an acceptable alternative. When polished, the wheel's protective coating is removed. To avoid corrosion and discoloration, wheel maintenance will need to be increased.

Warranty Information: Corrosion and/or discoloration due to a lack of maintenance are not a warranty matter.

Important Note: Please make a copy of this bulletin and give to your dealership's Sales Manager and General Manager.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:45 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
Yes, it seems the PPI came back good and I am looking to get it shipped.

I spoke to Beverly Hills Porsche and PCNA about the car. I am suppose to get more detailed information from BH Porsche, but PCNA told me the cars were ordered as cabs with special options like "Carrera S" aluminum door sills and the dealer had them converted to the widebodies.

When I get more information I will let everyone know about it.

Thanks for asking.
Cool! It will be interesting to here the whole story.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:21 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Porsche Aluminum Road Wheels

Model Group

All 4

Part Identifier Number

4410 9011
ATTENTION: Service Manager/Service Technician

This bulletin supersedes Technical Bulletin Group 4, Number 8705, Book D, page 163.

Models Affected: All

General Information: Porsche does not approve of chrome plating Porsche aluminum road wheels.

Corrosion tests by PAG on chrome plated aluminum wheels have shown heavy pitting, especially with winter use.

The high difference in potential between the base metal of the wheel and the plating material (chrome, nickel) may cause pitting and could reduce wheel strength.

Polishing road wheels is an acceptable alternative. When polished, the wheel's protective coating is removed. To avoid corrosion and discoloration, wheel maintenance will need to be increased.

Warranty Information: Corrosion and/or discoloration due to a lack of maintenance are not a warranty matter.

Important Note: Please make a copy of this bulletin and give to your dealership's Sales Manager and General Manager.

Thanks you, I knew I had read something a while ago.... but as I get older, well I glad it's the memory that is going first.

Quick Reply: Chrome Wheel Question