Sponsored by:

3rd brake lamp out

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 05:39 PM
P7269
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd brake lamp out

A little history. I purchased my car the first of the year and noticed then that the third brake lamp does not work. I saw Robin's DIY on P-Car and decided to give it a try. Well it appears that that DIY was previously done by the PO and the fix is not gonna be that easy. Here is the weird part. When I pull the rear window defroster ****, my brake lamp illuminates. Is it possible the wires were switched?

I have removed the rear deck and window molding. Using a test light I have learned that the black wire that is ran along the drivers side (US Car) is the negative wire. The black wire that runs along the passenger side is soldered to a copper post in the middle area of the lower window. This wire goes hot when I pull the defroster ****. There are two other wires soldered to posts on opposite sides of the rear window. I tested the other two wires (Blk/Red stripe and Brown) but cant figure out what they do.

Can someone tell me which of the three wires soldered to the lower rear window is for the third brake light. I have a 97 with the window style brake light (Not basket handle). Anyone have a wire diagram or experience with this. I know this is not a big problem compared to others but it sure is frustrating me right now.

Thanks in advance....
Old 05-21-2007, 06:31 PM
P7269
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the Black/Red wire is the third brake light wire (the ground was bad on my test light!). Im putting everything back together now. Thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 09:45 AM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, thanks for all the help. With all the good advise I was able to fix my problem.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 3rd brake lamp out