Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007 | 10:27 AM
Peterrice
Rennlist Member

Default Check engine light problem

I've got a '97 C2 with 56k miles with the check engine light problem. someone posted that the necessary repair could be done for $1,500, unless I went to a dealer where the cost would be $6,000. Does anyone know what an independent
shop can do for the lower cost to resolve the problem? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-19-2007 | 11:29 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Why don't you get a cheap generic OBD2 reader first and read the error code and post the code here on the forum, I am sure you will have hundreds of replies and suggestions afterwards. Without seeing the exact error codes no one know what it is. There are many faults that can set off the check engine light, so....... And also your location would help too.....
Old 05-19-2007 | 12:26 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Or just stop into an Autozone store and borrow their reader for free. Like Robin said, the CEL could mean any number of things, not just the bad one.
Old 05-19-2007 | 09:45 PM
Gary996
Instructor

My CEL came on on my 97 C2 cab. Went to see Ken Rosegay at Zuffenhausen Motors in Scottsdale (Excellent resource, by the way) and he put an OBDII reader on it and read the fault code. In my case it was indicating some sort of issue with the valve guides having to do with emisions. Ken said it was an inherent issue with 993's that often surface around 50K miles (mine has 45K) and really did not need any attention. The only problem is that when the CEL light is on the car will not apss emisions. Ken reset the light and it has not come back on since.
Old 05-20-2007 | 03:36 AM
Jack Esposito
Instructor

If the CEL codes are P0410 or P1411 then the problem is with the secondary air injection. If the ports are just plugged then for the $1500 you can have the ports cleaned out without totally taking the engine apart. If you are using oil and the valves are bad then you would need the higher cost $6000 job to have a valve job done, and ports cleaned out while in there. Many times the ports are just plugged and the valve job isn't needed.
My check engine light has been on ever since I bought my car 6 years ago. The Porsche dealer back then told me not worry about it, just drive the car and enjoy it. It doesn't burn oil and is still running fine after 115k miles. I check the codes occasionally to make sure it is only the secondary air injection.
Whether you spend $1500 or $6000, 50k miles from now you will probably have the same CEL problem. It is just a poor design having the air injection passage way running through the head where it can easily get plugged with carbon build up, especially since the air pump does pump all the time to keep the passages open.

Jack
Old 05-20-2007 | 08:15 PM
joelb
Advanced

Wow, a tech question I can finally provide input on.

Ok, so this happened to me a short while back -- i.e. CEL coming on. I was freaked out thinking, oh my God, MAJOR $$$. Here's what caused the problem.

Following the recommendation of a local, well-known mechanic, I removed the engine shield from my 1995 993 Carrera Coupe. He said the Georgia heat warranted that and removing it should make my engine run slightly cooler, especially if I was idling in traffic (which I occasionally do since I drive in and around Atlanta). I figured, hey, no prob... he knows what he's talking about.

So, after driving for a few months with it off, over the course of a few days, my CEL comes on and then went off for a little while and then came back on to stay. There were only a few miles put on the car during that time and my next drive after it came on for good was straight to a new mechanic group I'd been talking to -- not because of the engine shield recommendation but because of some other stuff that happened (I just didn't feel comfortable leaving my baby with that guy again). At the new shop (a very respected and well-known racing group that also handles street vehicles and has an incredible facility), after getting some additional work done, I was told that the reason why the CEL was on was because something had hit the CEL sensor and bent it, shorting out and effectively destroying the sensor. Replacing the sensor fixed the problem and was by far the least expensive thing I've had done to the vehicle thus far.

How had the sensor gotten damaged in the first place? Because the engine shield was removed. The shield not only protects the engine but everything else that protrudes in that area -- especially when you're doing DE and autocross events. DOH!

Of course I asked, "But what about the additional heat from all that hot summer Georgia driving?" He looked at me like my Dad used to look at me when I'd done something stupid and gotten caught. My new mechanic said something like, "Do you really think that Porsche would add something to the car that would damage the engine when the cars are designed to handle the racetrack in the first place?" I was like, "Uhhh, yeah, I guess not. I'm sorry... I won't do it again." And, just like when I was a kid, I slithered off to pout in the corner and play with my GI Joes and HotWheel and Johnny Lightning cars. Man it sucks knowing so little about my favorite hobby but I get more educated with every dollar I spend. One of these days I'll be smart... and broke.

Joel

Quick Reply: Check engine light problem