Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Soaring 993 Turbo Prices !!! (in Hong Kong)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:48 AM
winsome
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats why i have given up on looking for a TT. Supercharger on the way......

Just two years ago my relative offered a beautiful TT for me at 500k and I turned it down, it has full carbon interior and 996 GT3 seats etc.....excellent condition......dont want to talk about it now.......
Old 05-22-2007, 11:47 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has any imported a used 993tt for personal use and then recently sold it? Just wondering if you get the same values.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:36 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by canysmc
Has any imported a used 993tt for personal use and then recently sold it? Just wondering if you get the same values.
You can import almost any car into HK and it can be registered if it's LHD, so I've had a chance to drive TVRs, Lotus Elises (before the were available in the U.S.), Skyline GTRs and other interesting cars (a Pagoni Zonda drives around my neighborhood!). Resale value of grey market import cars are a little below those of official imports... but it's the import duty that bites you and it's applied on all cars (that's why a new 997 is almost $180-200k) and motorcycles. Hong is a duty free territory, IIRC the only things taxed are tobacco, alcohol, cars and gas (cost me about US$100 to fill my tank ) What has happened in recent years is that because the HK$ is tied to the US$, cars here are relativel cheap compared to Australia and the UK and expats have been buying them in Hong Kong and shipping them home to Oz and the UK.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:04 AM
typer77
Advanced

I got my white one in HK which cost 800K hkd. It was high, supply was scarce. There is a 95 with some power and rwd conversion asking for same amount of money. Mine is pretty much all stock with 35k km.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:29 AM
mtrain
Intermediate

hey Darren, are you going to lower that Cabrio or am I going to have to do it for you !!!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:08 PM
DBYT
Pro

Mark, If we stay in HK for a few more years (I find out in a month or so), then it is straight to R&T for the MO33 and RSR. We need to get a drive together soon...seems like a bunch of new folk here in HK.
DT
Old 05-30-2007, 02:47 AM
p993enthusiast
Racer

Yes Darren - let's meet up soon (F355s allowed no doubt) - my car's overdue for another stretch.

Keep us posted on your movements.

Alan
Old 05-30-2007, 03:43 AM
jfl503
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HK folks - breakfast at ShekO or LK Sunday morning?
Old 05-30-2007, 04:19 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Originally Posted by David in LA
You can import almost any car into HK and it can be registered if it's LHD, so I've had a chance to drive TVRs, Lotus Elises (before the were available in the U.S.), Skyline GTRs and other interesting cars (a Pagoni Zonda drives around my neighborhood!). Resale value of grey market import cars are a little below those of official imports... but it's the import duty that bites you and it's applied on all cars (that's why a new 997 is almost $180-200k) and motorcycles. Hong is a duty free territory, IIRC the only things taxed are tobacco, alcohol, cars and gas (cost me about US$100 to fill my tank ) What has happened in recent years is that because the HK$ is tied to the US$, cars here are relativel cheap compared to Australia and the UK and expats have been buying them in Hong Kong and shipping them home to Oz and the UK.
David, I am sure you mean right hand drive. I thought there was also a problem with meeting the latest emission legislation when trying to first register a car in HK. Last year I met a lucky man with a registered 993 Turbo who had also purchased an unregistered 993 GT2 RHD from the first owner. The first owner had bought this car in HK when new but had not registered it. When the new owner went to register it he was told that would be fine provided it met the latest emission laws, which of course it could not. He told me he had battled this for a year and had not got anywhere. So anyone thinking of importing a secondhand car with a reasonable age better check this out first.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:49 AM
eyue
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason,
If weather is fine, I would like to drive. Shall we join the Porsche Club drive or justr as usual ?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:12 AM
mtrain
Intermediate

I am off the sauce (thats grog for you poms, or alcohol for you yanks) for the month, so I am good to go, early, any of the next two or three weekends. Saturday's arent such a bad idea either,especially for those of us with kids.

For those of you left back in the real world, a lot of us here in Hk are lucky to have live-in domestic helpers who are a real boon when one has little kids. The only problem is most are Phillipino and therefore devout Catholics (the ones that dont work in Wan Chai that is) and they all take Sunday's off!

...looking forward to catching up and hearing some flat-sixes next to the screaming eight! Really missing the Porker by the way ... but it got to Australia in one piece and should be registered and back on the road by the end of the month.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 PM
DBYT
Pro

OK, who is up for a early morning Sat drive either this coming Sat or next Sat? Let me know...Mark, can't wait to hear that 355
Old 05-31-2007, 12:41 PM
p993enthusiast
Racer

Darren, I think I am ok for this Saturday morning, let me know the details.

Alan
Old 06-01-2007, 12:39 PM
JimOz
Instructor

By any chance have anyone got a lead on a 993 coupe man that would like to come and live in Australia. I have a HK resident willing to bring it in for me.

Any idea of what a good one would cost and whether its worth the hassle?

Had a look at some dealer sites all cabs or tips and seems the asking price is a bit much in order to justify it all.

Thanks

Jim
Old 06-01-2007, 01:14 PM
p993enthusiast
Racer

Jim

Manual 993s are a rarity in Hong Kong. One of the reasons why TargaTango is going through the trouble in converting a tip to a manual as part of his Project Orange. If you can live with a Tip, then there's a good number on the market still and prices are still cheaper than Oz (esp with the exchange rate (bloody USD!) and the low mileage (less ground to cover in HK).

Basically N/A 993s can be had for less than $A60k and they still cost around A$80k in Aust.

Good luck in your search.

Alan

Quick Reply: Soaring 993 Turbo Prices !!! (in Hong Kong)