993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pelican Parts/Lloyd's Mats Order-- Disappointed in Service

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007 | 10:33 AM
jusafan
Instructor

Rome - Sorry you had such a bad experience. I just got some Lloyds mats recently for my car. You and I have the same interior, and the color I got seemed to really work well. The color is called "Sand Biege". You might want to check that one out, if you haven't already re-ordered a set.

Chris
Old 05-18-2007 | 10:36 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

I light of all of what has transpired (see post #44) I have asked Judy (by e mail) to cancel the order. I prefer to do business elsewhere.
Old 05-18-2007 | 10:38 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Miscommunications happen everywhere and all the time but releasing confidential customer information on an internet message board is inexcusable. I would suspect that many people from Rennlist will not use them in the future because of this breach.
Old 05-18-2007 | 11:00 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

You know, there's another element to customer service. When you try to do the right thing and the customer indicates that it's not good enough, or continues to berate you. Then you have to make the decision: is this the sort of customer we want, or is it better to just refund their money and send them to go harass your competitor.

Wayne's reply was very informative and it was great that he took the time to come and post. I've had my issues with Pelican during their times of, um, erratic customer service. But there's no doubt that Wayne is on the right track and has the commitment to end up in the right place.

Rome (or whatever your secret identity is ) try these guys: http://www.performanceproducts.com/P...brand&bid=1908 and you can learn what real customer service is!
Old 05-18-2007 | 11:16 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tip John, but how do you see me "berating" him.

When Judy responded to me, I posted, literally moments later (see post #33 above), saying that they were trying to do the right thing. Wayne's post not only broadcasted my confidential info on a public internet forum (contrary to Rennlist policy, I might add), but also suggested that I was somehow at fault because of my impatience. This is not customer service IMO. Wayne's post, in my view, was more of an advertisment than anything else. If you look at my original post (#1) color had nothing to do with my dissatisfaction.

He should have let Judy do the job he hired her for (because she seems to be very good at it). A week from now I would have had the right order, and I would have posted pics showing how nice they looked and what a great job they did to make this right. Instead, he stuck his nose in, still pointing the finger at me, and , as DC said, committing an "inexcusable" breach of customer confidentiality.
Old 05-18-2007 | 11:39 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Rome, I am with you 100%... Pelican lost my business a couple years back, when i got the same treatment, lack of confidentiality of personal information, defensiveness, "it's actually YOUR" fault, two sides to the story, blah blah. Others here have had very positive experiences, so mileage varies I guess. My personal hypothesis is that this particular company does very well by customers when all is going well, but that when something like this happens, not so great at handling... just my opinion. Last time there was a thread like this, I seem to remember John D. jumping in to defend Pelican and shut down the thread... I suppose they are a long time sponsor...
Old 05-18-2007 | 11:46 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

I guess I see it a bit differently: You screwed up the order (helped certainly by the order system). They tried to make it right. You threw it back in their face. When Wayne gets into the office this morning, he can edit out your name. There is a bit of a time zone difference. I'm sure it was a simple mistake, not a personal and premeditated attack on your privacy.

But frankly, your petulent (if not berating) reaction is what stands out the most here. When somebody tries to do the right thing by you, do you habitually cross your arms, frown and say, "that's not good enough!"?

They're trying to help you out, to correct a wrong. How about accepting it with some grace?
Old 05-18-2007 | 11:52 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyJon
I guess I see it a bit differently: You screwed up the order (helped certainly by the order system). They tried to make it right. You threw it back in their face. When Wayne gets into the office this morning, he can edit out your name. There is a bit of a time zone difference. I'm sure it was a simple mistake, not a personal and premeditated attack on your privacy.

But frankly, your petulent (if not berating) reaction is what stands out the most here. When somebody tries to do the right thing by you, do you habitually cross your arms, frown and say, "that's not good enough!"?

They're trying to help you out, to correct a wrong. How about accepting it with some grace?
How in the world did I screw up the order? Go back and re-read the posts dude. Judy acknowledged they erred and was in the process of correcting their mistake until Wayne felt the need to stick his nose in, blame me, and broadcast a virtual advertisment for Pelican.

Sorry, but you are one mixed up cat.

Regarding "accepting it with grace"-- letting people unfairly take shots at me is not the way I chose to live. I dealt perfectly fairly and appropriately with these guys...posting in real time on this board every effort they made to make things right. It was only when Wayne wrongly blamed me and disclosed my info that I decided enough was enough.
Old 05-18-2007 | 12:08 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Rome If I may from someone that has been there (not with poor service but in a thread that got me so involved emotional ) Right or wrong just take a deep breath and ask yourself " Is it better to be right or have serenity ? " Hopefully the latter will be the choice and let go and let God and enjoy a great summer ahead . I don`t think anybody should pass judgement on anyone here . I belive no good will come from this thread onward .

Cheers Guy
Old 05-18-2007 | 12:18 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

it's very easy for those that have not been through this to be calm, serene, and somewhat casual about it... one thing is for sure, disclosing a customer's personal data (given in confidence as part of a credit card transaction) on a public forum is a big no-no...
Old 05-18-2007 | 12:35 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Rome, I am with you 100%... Pelican lost my business a couple years back, when i got the same treatment, lack of confidentiality of personal information, defensiveness, "it's actually YOUR" fault, two sides to the story, blah blah. Others here have had very positive experiences, so mileage varies I guess. My personal hypothesis is that this particular company does very well by customers when all is going well, but that when something like this happens, not so great at handling... just my opinion. Last time there was a thread like this, I seem to remember John D. jumping in to defend Pelican and shut down the thread... I suppose they are a long time sponsor...
JT,

Its a damm nice jacket though
Old 05-18-2007 | 12:47 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by RallyJon
How many Porsche standard carpet colors are there, anyway? Black, grey and cashmere cover 90% of the 993s out there I bet. Lloyd (and Pelican specifically for that matter) certainly sell enough mats for these cars to come up with an official "closest" match list. Don't have to guarantee that it's perfect--just that this specific Lloyds color is the best choice for a given Porsche carpet.
Simplify! Excellent idea. A few thoughts from a marketing professional, before we've completely beaten a dead horse:

1) Custom anything is always risky, and buyer and seller should share this risk equally.

2) Anytime you have a 2nd party selling a 3rd party product, you're adding a failure point for miscommunication, ball dropping, you name it. A custom product only compounds the problem.

3) Modifying an order mid-stream is also always a bad idea in any business, and another opportunity for a mistake. Cancel and start over is usually better.

4) It seems like Pelican is quick to take a defensive posture. Like it or not, they are part of the whole Nordstrom-Starbucks-Home Depot retail landscape. These leaders have a very broad reach, and have raised customer expectations in other segments as well. Learn from the them. They didn't get there by arguing with customers. The customer is always right (even when he's not!)

Just another data point: I also received a nice post-survey email from Judy. I mentioned that I wasn't wild about their pricing. I failed to include the fact that I was specifically referring to factory Porsche parts, which are consistently cheaper at the place in Oregon, with no CA sales tax! I do love their "Project List" feature, FWIW.
Old 05-18-2007 | 12:49 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
JT,

Its a damm nice jacket though
Old 05-18-2007 | 01:15 PM
M491
Racer

Doing what Wayne did - posting someone's real name on an Internet board - is very uncool and uncalled for.

It is doubly uncool since rome is a CUSTOMER of Pelican.

It is triply uncool since it violates this particular board's express policy.

I think it was ok to post the e-mail exchange, though. Any confidentiality right to that was waived by starting this thread, it's fair for Wayne to respond and defend/explain and those communications are part of it. But disclosing the customer's full name doesn't add anything.

Threads like this are basically useless, though, esp. when absolutely NO effort was made to address the problem before bringing it to the Internets chat boards. (See Post No. 1 "I don't feel like going through the aggravation of boxing them up and sending them back, or dealing with these people on the phone. I'll plan to keep them for a while and see how I feel about them.") That's unfair to the vendor, a waste of time for everyone.

On the other hand, the Innernets are powered by drama . . .
Old 05-18-2007 | 01:18 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Lose the skirts guys. Thanks for trying, Wayne. You earned better than this.

Quick Reply: Pelican Parts/Lloyd's Mats Order-- Disappointed in Service