Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pelican Parts/Lloyd's Mats Order-- Disappointed in Service

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007 | 06:27 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Hi Rome,

I am sorry to hear about your mat problems.

Last year I bought a set of Lloyd mats from Pelican. It was the beginning of a long slide down the slope of World Class Crappy Customer Service.

First, Pelican sent me mats for an older 911 model. I called them to explain, and they replied that I must have used their on-line ordering tool wrongly.

In the end, they then told me to call Lloyd directly, which I did. Between Lloyd and myself, we managed to make Pelican understand that the mats needed to be exchanged.

For the record, Pelican kept on insisting that the error was on my side, even though I has a printed confirmation from the on-line ordering tool, which stated the right model reference.

So, I sent the mats back which obviously cost me a handful of $10 notes.

As I live in Europe, I have to pay import taxes, whenever I receive a package from a country outside Europe. The replacement mats would trigger a double-payment of taxes, which I can not get reimbursed. So, another handful of $10 notes gone!

As I was about to move from Spain to Switzerland, I told Pelican to send the mats directly to Switzerland. "No problem", they said. And then they sent them to Spain, where they arrived when I had just left for Switzerland.

So, I had to pay another handfulk of $10 notes to have the mats sent from Spain to Switzerland, and another handful to pay import taxes in Switzerland!!!

When the mats arrived they were.... for a Right-hand drive car!!!!!

Pelican said it was my fault, and genreally gave little impression of being interested in solving my problem.

In the end, I sent the mats back and waited for a reply from Pelican. It never came, and when I called them weeks after, they claimed that the returned mats had never arrived.

I gave up!

Getting new mats for my car through Pelican had cost my hundreds of dollars, and plenty of frustration.

I have never experienced a worse customer service, and still struggle to understand what went wrong at Pelican.

My recommendation is, but your mats from another vendor.

Take care,

Jens
Old 05-17-2007 | 10:35 AM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

If you dont ask you just told yourself No.."

david that's the best thing I've heard in a while> some great advise
Old 05-17-2007 | 11:01 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I once vowed NEVER to do business with Pelican again. But after a few years I broke down and thought I'd try again.

I then proceeded to have an even worse experience with their customer service. "Making things right" was not in their vocabulary. Never again for me.
Old 05-17-2007 | 11:11 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Send them back.

I ordered embroidered mats too early this year and - instead of arriving as advertised - (Marble) GREY -- they arrived as "muddy brown". Now when you consider that I have a Blue car with the marble grey interior -- this hokey pokey light brown color is totally off whack.

I sent them back.

I received the proper mats (properly embroidered too) in less than a week.

Don't settle for crap, don't succumb to someone else's apathy and just shrug it off.
No way man, no way.

Gerry
Old 05-17-2007 | 11:31 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

What is up with Lloyd's mats? They have a zillion colors, but can't manage to tell you what matches. My recent cashmere-matching fiasco soured me to the whole thing.

Hey Lloyd's--get a clue. How about if YOU take all your swatches and tell ME what color to order.
Old 05-17-2007 | 12:19 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Originally Posted by CarmG993
Send them back, get what you paid for.
+1 and if you paid by credit card, dispute the charge.
Old 05-17-2007 | 12:33 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

I'll never buy from Pelican again. Same experience as others here: bought parts, they sent the wrong ones and blamed the mistake on me. Made me pay for a "special order charge" since they were not stocked (fine!) and re-stocking fee. It took a month to resolve and was treated like they were doing me a favor all along.

Last year I got custom made mats because I wanted the Porsche logo embroided in the center of the mat and no one was selling anything like it. When I posted pictures of my car for sale here, a couple of RL suggested I organize a GB. It's in the works, so stayed tuned if you're interested.
Old 05-17-2007 | 12:34 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BS911
I once vowed NEVER to do business with Pelican again. But after a few years I broke down and thought I'd try again.

I then proceeded to have an even worse experience with their customer service. "Making things right" was not in their vocabulary. Never again for me.
I had a similar customer "service" story with Pelican. It wasn't about floor mats, but it was a situation very similar to some that have been posted here - where I was made to feel that I was the problem. Suffice to say, I'll never do business with them again. Sounds like a common theme.

Perhaps Judy from customer service at Pelican should read this thread?
Old 05-17-2007 | 01:16 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

I actually want to restate something... I never had as much of a problem with the people there. (Well, except Wayne.) I want to make that clear since someone who works at Pelican is a 993 member here serving in a "993 enthusiast" role, not a marketer. Is it Bobby? Sorry, forget your name for sure but I can picture your avatar. So I don't want to sound like I'm just bashing Pelican and their people. Just "Pelican." (Oh... and Wayne.)
Old 05-17-2007 | 01:39 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

If I may ask an obvious question: how does the Lloyds order flow actually work?

I'm sure Pelican doesn't have a stock of blank Lloyds mats waiting to be embroidered at the warehouse, so probably Pelican (or any other retailer) passes the order through to Lloyds using some sort of printed form or web app. Chances are, the problem lies in the translation between your order on Pelican's web site and Pelican's order to Lloyds.

So how about either a) cutting out the middleman and ordering direct, or if they won't do that, b) finding a retailer that has better communication and order processing skills?

There are many Lloyds retailers out there. Some of them must have a clue.

Or maybe become one yourself. From the Lloyds site:
There is big dealer profit potential in Lloyd Mats. No mat inventory or minimum order is required and just a $50 investment puts you in the custom floor mat business.
http://www.lloydmats.com/ultimatkit.htm
Old 05-17-2007 | 04:01 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

So, after all the responses, I felt like I couldn't let the board down. So, I left a message for Judy (thanks for the contact info 911URGE), I wrote her an e mail, and I wrote a second e mail to "customer service" (at the e mail address which confirmed my order).

Do you think I received a response.

(In fairness, I did receive an instantaneous response from "customer service" to thank me for my e mail, but I'd be willing to wager many shekels that the response did not actually come from a real person.

Maybe I should call a lawyer?...

Anyone have contact info for Suncoast so that I can speak to someone who can get my order right?
Old 05-17-2007 | 04:05 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Low and behold, a few minutes after submitting the above post, I got the following from JUdy:

"I am working with the different parties involved with processing your order. I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. I will get back to you with a resolution today."

I will keep you all posted on how it turns out.
Old 05-17-2007 | 04:09 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

(In fairness, I did receive an instantaneous response from "customer service" to thank me for my e mail, but I'd be willing to wager many shekels that the response did not actually come from a real person.
Don't you hate it when they do that?

First reaction: Ooh, look I got a response right away, they must really be on the ball!

Reaction once you realize it's an autoresponder: Oh great, they're going to be so slow responding they have to send me an e-mail to tell me so.

Amazing how many companies do this wrong.
Old 05-17-2007 | 04:12 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Judy's actually really on the ball. She's a pro hired by Wayne to fix their CS problems. I sent in a response to a satisfaction survey and she got back to me with a two paragraph e-mail within an hour.

There's only one way to handle customer service when selling (relatively) expensive stuff to (relatively) affluent people. No matter what went wrong, or what the problem is, every employee must have the directive and the power to just "make it right".
Old 05-17-2007 | 04:40 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

One more positive vote for Judy. I remember she was very helpful and communicative in trying to resolve my issues. However, at the end of the day, I don't like how her superiors responded and handled my concerns and that's what counts.

Quick Reply: Pelican Parts/Lloyd's Mats Order-- Disappointed in Service