993 Forum 1995-1998

Simple Spare Key?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple Spare Key?

Is there a plain, non-lighting, non-switchblade head that can be used with the key blank replacement? Looking to make one or 2 spare keys for backup and don't need all the crests, lights, etc. Don't even care about a Porsche logo or PN.

Believe the blank PN is 911-538-903-00-M100

Thanks
Old 05-14-2007, 02:54 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought 3 Italian-made "914" ilco blanks off of ebay for about $11. They have the soft plastic head with a rectangular hole in the middle and work just fine. The ilco P/N is P05-P. A Porsche P/N I got from Pelican is 914-531-903-10.

To cut, a good locksmith first tried using my key code, but that left small ridges between the detents and it didn't work. The we used my small-head emergency key as a template, and my copies work fine!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:19 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I bought some on ebay...I paid a little more, but not much. Works fine as long as your original is good. At 120k miles on mine and no remote, my key was worn down quite a bit so I ordered a new key from Porsche and put that blade in a lighted crested head from ebay.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:24 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Sumtoc,

Well, I wasn't as bright as the previous posters. I bought a box of 10 blanks since I couldn't find them anywhere but an online key supplier... just a plain silver key. I didn't think to check eBay. doh. Just wanted another backup key also.

If you want a couple send me a PM and I will mail them, free-o-charge.
I'm out of town this week and most of next but I might be able to get them in the mail early next week before I take off again.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:11 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

I think these would work also ??

http://www.eagleday.com/911914.html
Old 05-15-2007, 02:25 AM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark D you have a PM
Old 05-15-2007, 02:45 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check with a good locksmith shop in your area. In 2003 I had four spare keys made in Newport Beach, CA for $4.00 each..... I was referred to the shop by the local P-car dealer....They were for MY '95...
Old 05-15-2007, 10:33 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

I've gotten a few PMs and am now "out of stock" except the 2 I'm saving for the original requester, Sumtoc.

Great info by others here on getting single keys... I can't believe I didn't post here before ordering a box
Sometimes I ain't the sharpest crayon in the box. Too impulsive I guess.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by grmnxtc
I think these would work also ??

http://www.eagleday.com/911914.html
Yes. Mine look like the black ones, except without the word "PORSCHE" and about 70% less money. I'm glad we mostly seem to be taking the pragmatic approach here. I've got too many other mods to do to justify $50 for the lighted, gold-crest key. Maybe it's handy bling for single dudes at cocktail parties, but it's also a bit fatter in the pocket. Besides, if you're unlocking with the Immobil transmitter, does the light ever get used (on the car?)
Old 05-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Besides, if you're unlocking with the Immobil transmitter, does the light ever get used (on the car?)
FWIW, I use the light in the key head to help find the ignition keyhole in the dark. I know some cars have a light over the ignition switch; mine doesn't...

-Chris
Old 05-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Default Thanks guys but......

I whizzed by my local locksmith today on a whim and said "you got any Ilco P05 blanks that will fit that car outside?" He said "sure do", 5 min and $10 later I had 2 new keys that work like a champ.

BTW, Ilco P05 is a plain steel head, Ilco P05-P has the black rubber head.

Mark D., thanks for the generous offer but think I am set for now.
Old 07-18-2023, 01:26 PM
Aircool'dFool
Intermediate

I ordered this set of key blanks for $12 shipped which appear to be model Silca PW1P. I couldn't figure out if these were steel or not, buy I took it a local hardware shop (after calling around and most locksmiths / Ace Hardwares said they couldn't do steel) and the shopworker said it was smooth as butter to cut (so maybe these aren't steel?).

It turns on the car just fine (feels like an original key), but turning off the car struggles where the top plastic part feels like it's twisting before the key internally is. I can't tell if this is because the key itself is bad, the key cut wasn't done right, or the plastic top is flimsy causing it twist before the inner (it doesn't feel flimsy at all just holding it out). Another way said, it doesn't feel great compared to OEM key when turning car off but these are going in drawer just for backup in case I lose my original.

Quick Reply: Simple Spare Key?