Sponsored by:

Rear Seat Back Head Support

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Luftd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Seat Back Head Support

I have a child booster seat fitted in the back which is fine at present but will soon have to be removed as my daughters head is getting too close to the roof lining and rear window.
If I make up a thin seat cushion (as discussed on RL) to make the seat belt fit correctly around her lap I’m sure that would be fine. What is not fine is the lack of safety that the standard seatback offers.

OK I confess…. I drive a Volvo!

I’m reluctant to (actually it is more like “no way could I”) sit the most precious person in my life, in the back, sliding around with no rear and side protection for her head.
Has anyone tried re modeling the rear seatback to achieve a safer environment for their young children?
I had the idea of buying some used seat backs (not going to mess up the originals) and fabricating something from 1/8inch sheet alloy and bolting it onto the back of the seatback. I would pad it with dense foam and get it covered in vinyl. Or I could butcher the back of the booster seat and fix the head restraining part on to the car seatback.
If it looked a bit odd that’s ok. I could live with that as it would not be in the car forever. I could not live with brains all over the side window, or neck injury from a rear shunt.
Do you think it is possible? If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on this I would be grateful to hear them.
I’m not going for a design award here, just peace of mind.

If anybody has a set of rear seatbacks (black) that they would like to sell could you please contact me. I am happy to pay postal costs from the US.

BTW I’m not going for a record number of new threads. I’ve just been saving them all up!

Quick Reply: Rear Seat Back Head Support