Updated Odometer DIY Information

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:00 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Updated Odometer DIY Information

In recent emails with Jeff at odometergears.com, I have some updated information.

http://p-car.com/diy/odometer/

First, the biggest readblock for many in tackling this job is the task of removing the speedometer needle from the pin. Jeff reports that you can replace the gears without removing the needle or speedo faceplate. It is a tight fit, but the electrical motor can be slid out to give access to the gears without taking the face off.

Second, Jeff suggested replacing both the gear in question and the secondary gear. Since the gears are cheap, it might be good insurance to prevent a return visit to the guts of your odometer.

And finally, I have successfully brought my car back to reality... adding a very important "6" to the 10,000 miles column. That's right, today I just rolled an estimated 166,000 miles instead of a rather "shy" 106,000 miles. To perform a mileage change, you will need to get as far as the DIY goes in removing the needle and faceplate, and then getting full access to the gearing mechanisms. Above the odometer number wheels are a set of gears that do the task of rolling forward each number. Every 9-0 transition has a tooth that catches the next gear to roll it forward. That is how the mubers "stay put" until it is time to roll over instead of a constant sweep. To roll a number forward, you need to get those drive gears out of the way. Jeff says that the pin that those cogs are on is flexible. I actually didn't get the confidence to pry it out, instead, I simply pushed the pin through the case as if you were pushing in a pin holding a watch band together. The whole pin doesn't come out - I just got it far enough back through the case to allow me to wiggle it out a bit. Once you can pull the drive cogs out of the way, you have free wheeling numbers. One note though, when you turn the numbers, you will feel 2 clicks. Make sure you do both or you will be in between numbers. This will be self explanatory once in there.

As a preemptive measure for the people who think this is a horrible thing to even suggest doing... this is NOT illegal. What is illegal is selling your car with miles indicated that you know are wrong. There are right and wrong ways to document your mileage in the event of an odometer failure. If you don't document your miles properly, your car is "True Mileage Unknown." If you can't document your car properly, it is TMU. If you drive your car xxxxx miles until you get your odometer fixed, it is TMU. Unplugging your odometer for xxx miles would make it TMU. My car... is TMU even though multiple calculations have shown that I am at about 166,000. There is no way to prove it. So this information is for you to be able to more accurately reflect what your estimated miles are ... even though you would only be able to sell your car as TMU. Now, if anyone wants to roll back their miles to boost their resalve value, then shame on them. That would put them in the class of people with some of the most dispicable types ... like Porsche dealer service managers. But I would hope that this information helps people get odometers rolling again, and reflecting reality again.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:16 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As usual, Brian - great write up I don't need this service yet, but I've bookmarked this thread for future reference.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:56 PM
colo993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian,

Great writeup. I did this procedure this weekend with the two new gears that I got from Jeff at Odometer Gears. Jeff was super nice and very helpful. I found that putting the speedo back together was easier than getting it apart.

Paul

Quick Reply: Updated Odometer DIY Information