Aftermarket seat recommendation needed:

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 04:51 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Aftermarket seat recommendation needed:

Hey all,

Hope everyone is well here on the 993 board. I have a dilemma that I need some help with.
- My bro and I have been sharing the 993 and want to set it up a little more for the track. Just some light mods:
1) Seat
2) Bolt in roll bar
3) 5 point seat belts

The problem we have, I am a big guy. 5'10 225lbs. My bro is a little guy, 5'5 150lbs. He likes to raise the seat up to get him closer to the wheel (on the height settings of the seat.) I like to push the seat lower, so the steering wheel is not near my family jewels. -- Since the 993 has a fixed steering wheel (does not tilt, lower, etc.) It's all about the seat adjustments.

So, we are looking for a seat that has multi settings including, forward and backward slide, forward and backward tilt and up and down height. I guess that would be considered six way.
-- So what after market seat manufacturer offers a good product that can accomodate 5 way harness belts and also has six way adjustment?

I understand that we should probably go with a bigger seat that fits me, then have an insert poured to accomodate my bro for side.
Again, I'm looking for some advice here. The stock seats are just not cutting it for track duty as we want the safety of the roll bar, etc.

Any thoughts? Pictures would be great if you have them to share. Links would be very helpful too.

Thanks.
B
Old 05-05-2007, 04:58 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A number of people use GT3 or Recaro RS fixed back seats and remove the cushion to get 1-2" in headroom? You can have an upholstery shop make both new lower and back seat cushions (these are just attached w/velcro) to better accommodate each of you. Would this work for you? You can also use (I think) the Sparco side brackets which have multiple mounting holes which will let you adjust the height and tilt. There was a recent thread that had a pic of the Sparco bracket.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:04 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Hey David,

Thanks, but not exactly the solution I was looking for. If Sparco makes a mounting bracket with multiple options, that means, everytime we switch drivers, we need to remount the seat. Since we go to the track together, that would mean a big change after each run group.

As far as changing the velcro cushions, etc. The problem is, the seat is still fixed. What I really want, is a seat that has ALL the adjustments of a stock seat, but has the cut outs for the belts.
I would really prefer not to give up the tilt function either, on long drives, I tend to like to adjust the seat back from time to time.. My bad back doesn't like being in the same position for too long..

So am I to understand that there are no after market seats with full adjustments?

B
Old 05-05-2007, 05:23 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the big problem is finding fully adjustable seats that can accommodate a 5-point harness. I would guess that you should be able to use an after market seat that has the 6 way adjustment and then have an upholstery shop modify the seat with an opening for the harness. Does the Recaro Topline or Cobra Misanos have 6 way adjustments? I was looking at these previously but they may only be 4 way adjustable.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:29 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe the Recaro Speed, but not sure how much...they are adjustable tilt. I have Recaro Sport Toplines that are manual forward/back, power up/down and tilt back. You can also modify the seat pretty easily for a 5 or 6 point. I'm just finishing the install and will be posting extensive pics in a couple of days. It is sort of a PITA, but might work well for you.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket seat recommendation needed: