Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal? (door coloring)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 97 Posts

Has anyone used the "Door Stay Reinforcement Kit" from Pelican Parts?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:13 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Jeff,
I told you that the door check strap was welded. And without removing the whole fender and welding it from the back, this is the best they could do. I already lost 14k on the car (owned for 1 year) so I was definitely not spending extra $$ there. Trust me, it is much better than the alternative (clicking sound).
Do not forget, the car you bough has 89k on the clock. Accept it for what it is (a driver in good condition) and enjoy it. If you wanted a perfect c4s, you would have to pay 30-55% more than you got my car for...
Old 05-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by troppo
Jeff,
I told you that the door check strap was welded. And without removing the whole fender and welding it from the back, this is the best they could do. I already lost 14k on the car (owned for 1 year) so I was definitely not spending extra $$ there. Trust me, it is much better than the alternative (clicking sound).
Do not forget, the car you bough has 89k on the clock. Accept it for what it is (a driver in good condition) and enjoy it. If you wanted a perfect c4s, you would have to pay 30-55% more than you got my car for...
Greg, no reason to be defensive or tell me what I got/paid for. I am trying to figure out how to make that mound of weld into something more attractive and useful. I read the DIY on "p-car.com" by Chris Walrod on preventing the strap from breaking off in the A-frame once the clicking begins, if it had already done so, then I'm too late, and only removing the fender and $$$ will restore it to an original aesthetic. I am surprised that when removing the fender, there is no way to reinforce the plate & spot welds with a more thorough weld from that side...

You did say it was welded, but that doesn't tell me if it came out from within the A-frame, or whomever did it did not know about the preventative measures... It doesn't do it's job very well of keeping the door from swinging out, anyway, so I am doing some fact-finding to resolve that issue, and may replace the unit. Or, may leave it alone. Hence, the "fact-finding". Now that I have your attention, know anything about the possible repaint/replacement on the passenger door?

Furthermore, you could have answered this by replying to one of my emails (along with the other questions), not on Rennlist. I am not seeking some sort of mass approval/opinion on how one should enjoy the car. I don't opine on superchargers/big rear wings/carbon fiber modifications because it's not my thing; but if someone else wants to do it, more power to them and enjoy in good health. It's the libertarian in me.

89k miles or 12k miles, it's still a '98 C4S and I plan to drive/take care of it for a long time. If I decide to fix the the car to a more "original" state or improve the existing condition, that's my decision and money talking. I just need to know what I'm going up against, then I can ask the right questions.

"Just the facts, ma'am. Just the facts."

Quick Reply: Is this normal? (door coloring)