Sponsored by:

Charge-o-Mat vs. Battery Tender

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:52 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Charge-o-Mat vs. Battery Tender

I have a Battery Tender Junior, which I've been happy with. I was ready to hard-wire a ring harness to my Optima Yellow, but then I realized that to route the wire out the trunk, the trunk light would still be on. So I ordered a Charge-O-Mat (980-611-981-00) from Auto Parts Nationwide...then of course I read Seattle Bruce's post about flipping the switch off in the latch

Q1: Has anyone routed charging wires out of the bottom of the trunk? I kinda hope that there are no such holes/grommets.

Q2: Does anyone feel that the cigarette plug on their Charge-o-Mat (or any other appliance, for that matter) really fits that well? I'd like mine to go in about another 1/4", but nothin' doing.

Q3: How long does the Chage-o-Mat charge for? My car sat for about a week. It's been plugged in for about 2 days, and was rather warm to the touch. The red light just went out this morning. All is normal?

I may go back to the Battery Tender Junior, which means that we may have an almost new Charge-o-Mat for sale...
Old 04-30-2007, 05:00 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trunk light problem can be solved easily enough. Just leave the trunk open, but push the latch closed with a large screwdriver or something and the light will go out. However, don't forget to pull the trunk release before you try to close it again. I also have the Battery tender Jr. and it has worked well for me.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If I remember correctly, Deltran (BT mfgr.) and Optima recommend a charger like the Battery Tender Plus, not the Jr., for the gel type batteries. I think the Jr. would work fine if the battery is kept on the Jr. all the time but if the battery gets too low the Jr. may not be able to recover it. If you're going to buy a new charger go w/ the Plus, JMHO.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used my Charge-o-Mat for a year and a half with very good results on a car that would routinely crap out after 2 weeks of not driving. I agree that the cigarette lighter adaptor is a little funky but it doesn't interfere with how well it works. The instructions that came with the unit say it can be used continuously for an indefinite amount of time. Older threads about this topic contain positive reviews for the Charge-o-Mat. It is sold in a Porsche box as Tequipment, through the dealer network.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mounted my Tender next to the Optima Red Top and made up an extension cord that I routed to the passenger's side corner of the hood. I just shut the lid on it, have for 5 years with no problems. It tucks under the side carpeting when not is use.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:08 AM
cesar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the wire that connects to the charger sticking out of the closed trunk lid up against the rubber seal with my Batter Tender Plus. Works like a charm and the hood is completely closed. 1.5 years and no issues.

Before I start car I unplug the charger from the wall, pop the hood, unplug the wire and she starts right up.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Why not just buy the Porsche tender (about $55 from Sunset)?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:54 PM
killsbugsfast
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the tender cord extending out through the bottom of the trunk with no problems. There was an esisting hole there that their 2-prong plug fit nicely through.

Quick Reply: Charge-o-Mat vs. Battery Tender