993 Forum 1995-1998

Booster Seats revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 06:42 PM
luvmy356
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Booster Seats revisited

I recently bought my Targa so that I could do daddy duty and have some fun. I searched the forums for rear seat booster seats, and the Britax Star Riser was highly recommended, but its been discontinued for a while. There was also a Cosco booster from Walmart that was recommended but I didn't need the full carseat with built in buckles as my kids are big and old enough for boosters, but too small to ride legally without.

I was already using a pair of the next generation Britax booster called the Bodyguard (also discontinued) which has the same width adjustable base, "improved" with its torso wings, but non-removable back. The problem with this seat is that the rear seat belt would get caught on the torso wings when retracting and lock up. The belt won't unlock unless retracted all the way. It was a pain as I had to reach back there every time and twist the seat so that the the belt could clear the torso wing and retract.

After going to Target, Walmart, BabysRus with a tape measure, there wasn't a lightweight booster (with exception of the Cosco one w/5pt belts mentioned earlier) that would fit. The Cosco seat is pretty wide which would seem to make it hard for the kids to buckle themselves in, and it appears to elevate them pretty high and headroom is already at a premium.

So I finally searched Craigslist, and found a Star Riser for $15 locally. It works OK in the back. I would have liked it to fit snugly all the way against the seatback so the kids have a bit more legroom, but the belt receiver is in the way.

I wasn't able to find a second Star Riser, but read that there is a Fisher Price booster thats made by Britax using the same design as the Star Riser. I found the Safe Voyage Booster at Babycenter for $64 shipped and it arrived today. Well, its almost exactly the same as the trusty ol Star Riser, but they added a removable cup holder and its easier to adjust the backrest up and down.

So if anyone is still looking for a booster, you should hurry up and get it. I think its also being discontinued, so I may just order a second one so that they match, and I could always use the extra booster in my other cars.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2007, 06:49 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great info, thanks.

I think you are right about it being discontinued. The only selection available on babycenter is black with lime green. Ugh

Available on amazon in black/tan though... but 79.99
Old 04-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Aquinnah
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought two new Star Risers from BestBuyBaby in NJ for $89 + $5 S/H. They are denim blue and fit my '95 C2 cab well. I was truly thinking of cleaning out their inventory since they are discontinued and marketing them to the P-community. Someone has a Porsche-brand booster (clearly a private-labeled Star Riser) on ebay for $855!
Old 04-28-2007, 03:19 AM
luvmy356
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Great info, thanks.

I think you are right about it being discontinued. The only selection available on babycenter is black with lime green. Ugh

Available on amazon in black/tan though... but 79.99
The lime green is only on the piping found on the sides of the seat bottom, and on the seatback in the transition between the black and the gray. Thats the model/color I have in the picture.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:28 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmy356
The lime green is only on the piping found on the sides of the seat bottom, and on the seatback in the transition between the black and the gray. Thats the model/color I have in the picture.
oh great! I already ordered a black/tan version for 79... oh well.

Anyhow, thanks again for the excellent tip. I needed another booster for our youngest and this is perfect since I can use it in the pcars too.

Quick Reply: Booster Seats revisited