Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

high mileage 993's and long trips

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:43 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 415 Posts

Drive away! I have 99k miles, and drove 800+ miles last weekend with zero issues. Part of the drive involved being in a NYC traffic jam for 1 hour too. Car averaged 26.6 mpg on the highway, city was a different story mpg wise.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with my fellow Renners. I would personally have no qualms about driving a really long distance in/with my 993. (Yeah, I'd even do it in a 996 ...but you'd have to pay me.)

Just be sensible and carry "the usual suspects" - inasfar as spares are concerned. We beat this 'whadddya have in your glovebox/spare-baggie' thread to death a while back - so "SEARCH" is your friend here (again).

Having been to Nuevo Laredo, TX/Mex. -- (i.e. both sides of the border) -- I gotta admit that it's NOT on my list of places to go again ...and certainly not in my 993.

YMMV,

Gerry
Old 04-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Picture a 10 day 4500 mile loop from SF up the West coast to Jasper Canada, and down through Glacier Park and Yellowstone. I have done a variation of this trip 4 times. Up-to-date proactive maintenance and 2ndof2's items, plus spare belts and the belt tool are all you need.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:26 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

As for my trip: it was Paris to south of turkey, 5200 miles return. 34 hours of driving one way, 42 hours to arrive to destination (2600miles). Average speed on computer 129 kmph (80mph) , 22mpg ,
I went there twice, I was surprised the car did not consume oil at all.
After extensive reading on RL, I see that the 993 consumes a little quantity of oil most on frequent cold starts, not on long trajectories, at least in my experience.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:42 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The A/C is probably better on the 996.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:07 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geolab
As for my trip: it was Paris to south of turkey, 5200 miles return. 34 hours of driving one way, 42 hours to arrive to destination (2600miles). Average speed on computer 129 kmph (80mph) , 22mpg ,
I went there twice, I was surprised the car did not consume oil at all.
After extensive reading on RL, I see that the 993 consumes a little quantity of oil most on frequent cold starts, not on long trajectories, at least in my experience.
I'd like to hear about your experiences driving in the Porsche through the East of Europe, as me and the other half are planning a month-long trip this summer taking in England, France, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia and Croatia, all in the TT. Any advice?
Old 04-29-2007, 04:39 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
I'd like to hear about your experiences driving in the Porsche through the East of Europe, as me and the other half are planning a month-long trip this summer taking in England, France, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia and Croatia, all in the TT. Any advice?
How I will do this?
London to the shuttle.
Shuttle take the A18 up north to BRUGES-180km
Bruges, I stay at the crown plaza in the center-stay one night-24 hours
Bruges to Paris, would stay 3 days, if you do not know paris,
Paris to epernay in champagne. 200km
Would visit the Moet-Chandon champagne cellars in the afternoon, and dine at the
Royal Champagne. Queen Elisabeth's regular. Sleep at Epernay.
Epernay to Germany by the north through Metz-Saarbrucken (Not by Strasbourg)
Stuttgart-munich-salzbourg at 155 mph, Porsche museum well indicated on the highway.
Salzbourg-villach-bled in Slovenia. Stay in Bled one night and definitely half a day, fantastic. This is an island in the middle of a beautiful lake.

Then, Bled to Piran, takes 1 hour through lublijana.
Piran is Saint Tropez, but without the tourists.

Stay in Piran as long as you can. At the Hotel Piran (above pics are view from hotel ). Ask for a parking space when you reserve. No cars are allowed in Piran, unless for this hotel.
it is practically the only one at 10 feet from the sea, and 200 feet from the fish restaurants and the peer.

Then off to Croatia, half an hour drive. I have never been to croatia's coast, so your choice, avoid staying in kfar.
Coming back from Croatia, you cross slovenia's coast and enter Italy by trieste.
Trieste direction Venice. Venice, you have to try the pasta with black octupus ink, delicious. Drive to Venice till the road stops, there is a huge guarded parking there.
Tip the guy 5 euros, and do not leave him the keys, even if it is a house rule.
Do not give him 10, he will ask me for more next time
Venice, you head to Come lake, to the Belaggio, stay if possible.

After these, you will head to Switzerland- Lausanne-France-UK.
This will give the wifey twelve months of chat with her friends and family.

Last edited by geolab; 04-30-2007 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:20 AM
guiness
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info. I chose and purchased my 1995 993 torch red carrera 4 cab over the weekend. I haven't started my 04 vette since I got my 993.

Is it bad to feel like I am cheating when I look at my vette while driving away in the 993?

Quick Reply: high mileage 993's and long trips