993 Forum 1995-1998

Rod Birch Seat Delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:16 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TroyN
I'm sure it's out there somewhere but I'm being a lazybones - how much weight would this save? The rear seats seem pretty flimsy, they can't weigh that much so it doesn't seem like you'd save much weight especially if you're adding back wood for a tray.
Weight savings from just removing the rear seats from a cab are 2-3x what you would get from a coupe. But replacing them with a factory RSD kit will still save a little weight for a cab but not all that much since the wood is really heavy. For a coupe, replacing with a factory RSD will result in adding a little weight. If you have a coupe or cab and are looking for weight savings, don't bother replacing your seats with an RSD kit...just go w/RS carpeting.

You need to decide why you want an RSD: (i) no one ever sits in the rear or you have fixed back seats (my reason); (ii) looking for ways to save weight; (iii) need for a subwoofer box; or (iv) you have a cab and need to put golf clubs in the back.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:46 PM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it is all about wanting useable storage space since no one sits back there. Dont need subs, and the wieght savings is just a plus.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:26 PM
red95993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rod has my RSD in his office

Rod currently has my RSD in his office. It is from a Cab, and will go in my 95 Cab and fits perfect. He will custom fit it to accommodate the roll bar...just remind him he already has one in his office!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:32 PM
kmatts
Racer

I too though of doing this but luckily managed to get a factory RSD from a close friend that converted his RS America into a Track only car. Too bad I have had it for years and never managed to install it. doh....
Old 04-27-2007, 07:38 PM
mtk993a
Rennlist Member

I am also interested and will to buy now, for my 98 cab.
How do I get in touch with Rod???

Mark
Las Vegas
Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 PM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

I have a call into him now and will coordinate the details with him and get us a quote for a group buy. Hold a couple days but stay tuned to this bat channel.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:42 PM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Originally Posted by red95993
Rod currently has my RSD in his office. It is from a Cab, and will go in my 95 Cab and fits perfect. He will custom fit it to accommodate the roll bar...just remind him he already has one in his office!
That is awesome news hopefully he can build this for us cheap and light. Thanks for telling me that. It will save someone having to drive over for measurements and the guessing at what an original looks like. AWESOME! Thank you.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:54 PM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Talked to Rod today he has been off site working on a big project. He does indeed have a RSD factory kit in his office and said that he can and will make a RSD kit for us. He said he can do it with or without its own sub enclosures and with factory carpet. He is working up a price and getting back to me on monday. I will post his quote and then coordinate a group buy for anyone interested. Stay tuned.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:10 PM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Also for a cab Rod did not like the idea of putting subs in the RSD kit as he thought it would project the base out the top. Makes sense. I will continue to use my sub enclosures that he built for me if I get this kit from him.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:59 PM
95cab
Instructor

I'm not sure a coupe rear seat interior is the same as a cab - the seats are definitely different (ie the cab seats don't fold down) and the seat belts are mounted on the inside (I think coupe's are on the outside), plus there's all the cab mechanicals in the sides - would suggest trying to get a cab for the template or you might end up with one that doesn't work.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:32 PM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Okay the verdict is in and Rod can build this kit. He has a cab model to do his mark up on. With no doors, a lip to prevent things sliding forward and covered in factory black carpet he wants $400 bucks. Let me know who else is interested and I will see if we can get a group buy going.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:38 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScubaJKD
Okay the verdict is in and Rod can build this kit. He has a cab model to do his mark up on. With no doors, a lip to prevent things sliding forward and covered in factory black carpet he wants $400 bucks. Let me know who else is interested and I will see if we can get a group buy going.
Without doors and depending on the material he makes this with, this can be a very substantial weight savings for a cab...the center tower and bracing are pretty heavy. This should also work for a coupe but given the fold down rear seats, it's not as compelling.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:22 AM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

IMHO Rod does very nice work on his sub-enclosures, so I would expect his pseudo-RSD to also be of the highest quality.
I agree with DavidinLA that this would probably be a "better" solution for a cab than a coupe for his reasoning.
If Rod doesn't think his RSD would be a good sub-box, then why not use it as the amp/processor holder? It would be nice and stealth and you wouldn't loose any room in the hood for that stuff.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:29 PM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Rod sold me an audison 950W 6 channel amp that fits under passenger seat so although I could use this new space under the RSD it is not neccessary for me.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:07 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

ScubaJKD,

Have you installed the unit? If so, can you share some pic.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Rod Birch Seat Delete