Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot Sports-question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 11:47 AM
leosayer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just can't imagine running cold pressure of 36 on my 265/35/18, just purely because that is so far below manufacturers recommendation.

However, in the interests of science, I'm willing to give it a try.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:13 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 437 Posts

Here's some more fuel for this brightly burning "fire". As in my previous post I usually run my tires about 10% below manufacturers spec. due to my "thats for the autobahn not driving around town" assertion. Lately, I have noticed a decided difference between how the car handles and especially "tracks" in the morning going to the office and during the evening. In the AM it has been squirmy with lots of tramlining and general dartiness. In the PM driving home it for the most part has been fine. Well, I live in Vermont and at this time of year when I go to the office it is about 35-40 degrees F, in the evening going home it's about 65-65 degrees F. In the past two years we have had warmer Spring temps where it hasnt been that cold in the AM so I was always driving in warmer temps and naturally higher pressures. When I put my summer wheels on a few weeks back it was 70 degrees out and I set the pressures 10% below spec. I checked the tires this AM and they were about 14-15% below spec (spec being 36psi F, 44 psi R). I pumped them up to about 5% below spec and the dartiness and tramlining vanished. Conclusions? Clearly there are so many variables that determine where pressures should be set at. However, it is amazing how such a narrow range in pressures can effect how a car behaves depending upon the ambient temperatures experienced. Also, as most of us know summer only compound tires are not necessarily the "stickiest" or best behaving and not designed for temps under a certain range.

Quick Reply: Pilot Sports-question