Sponsored by:

tech bulletin on rear suspension components

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
It's not about that. It's supposedly a high speed, high load oscillation. You have a rear suspension problem for sure. 993s--even old ones with beat bushings and superceded suspension parts--still handle very well when properly set up. Seriously find a good shop and have them check it out. I know you said you went to some supposedly high-zoot shops in the DC area, but if they let you out with a 993 that "drives like a fire truck w/ rear steer" you need to move on.
Rick:

RJ has offered some VERY sound advice,..........competence with 993 suspensions is hard to find and I'd kindly suggest that you not be reticent to travel a bit to find that.

If you e-mail me directly, I can make some suggestions.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. And it may come to that. My description of the rear steer as a "fire truck" is just the best example of the sensation I felt when it was at its worst prior to alignment. After (what I believe to be) a proper alignment and setting of the K-toe...the car handled much better, but not perfect by any means. We'll see what happens w/ the new suspension components...if that doesn't solve the problem, than you may be right.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:17 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick K
...We'll see what happens w/ the new suspension components...if that doesn't solve the problem, than you may be right.
Rick, any chance you could take some measurements of the new control arms, and compare to the old control arms? If you could just measure the length of the control arms, from hole to hole (nothing else is relevant), you could put this issue to rest.

Also, I read that your front rubber a-arm bushings were shot. If you have the same problem in the rear, that will cause your bad handling. Remember, one rear lower a-arm bushing is radially soft (but unclear if it's the front or rear-- Frere says rear, but it looks to me like front). This causes the KT effect. This could explain your problems.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Rick, if you haven't gone to ASG, that would be my recommendation for a shop.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Eric, I will ask my wrench to do so - he is really curious about all of this as well. Excuse my ignorance here, I'm mostly learning as I go...but, it is possible to replace bushings alone, correct?

Mark, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick K
Eric, I will ask my wrench to do so - he is really curious about all of this as well. Excuse my ignorance here, I'm mostly learning as I go...but, it is possible to replace bushings alone, correct?...
Depends. On the front lower a-arm, there are Powerflex urethane bushings (which I had installed). On the rear, no, there are no replacement bushings. You could replace your bushings (in any or all control arms) with monoballs,* but that's generally reserved for dedicated track cars.

* one exception - the rear lower a-arm front bushing (which appears to be the one causing the KT effect) is never replaced with a monoball AFAIK.

Last edited by TheOtherEric; 04-26-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

gotcha, thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Yes, Rick, you can replace the bushings.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 380 Posts

The only explanation I have seen that made sense was a change to stiffer rubber in the bushes. Another '95 w/o an issues in this regard.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:07 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone on this thread ever think the so called "rear wobble" could somehow be related to a LSD engaging and disengaging, or from the lack of LSD in certain situations causing momentary lose of traction. What parameters were causing the "wobble". Hard acceleration? Hard braking? Others?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Had the ERP bushing installed this week. I'm taking the car to VIR Memorial Day for a 3 day event. I'll report my findings when I return. I'm guessing this might fix my problem
Old 04-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I don't think the issues are due to any LSD.

Quick Reply: tech bulletin on rear suspension components