Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the maximum distance you can move the seat back?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 05:57 PM
rj777
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the maximum distance you can move the seat back?...

I am wondering, because it doesn't seem like my driver's side seat goes back all that far.

I have power seats. Using the forward/backward control, I have moved the driver's side seat as far back as it will go. I then looked at the seat rail and the bit that covers the rail (the bracket-like piece that fits on top of the seat rail and actually moves back and forth when you move the seat). With the seat as far back as I can get it to go, there are 3 inches of seat rail showing before you see the overhanging bracket begin.

Is this what everyone is seeing?

Thanks. I apologize in advance if I'm doing a horrible job of explaining this.

Best regards,

- rick
Old 04-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rj777
What is the maximum distance you can move the seat back?...
All the way?

The driver's side seats have two sets of mounting holes. By using the holes farthest forward on the seat, you should gain a couple inches of rearward travel. I'd check that first.

Basically, if you see mounting holes in front of (i.e., closer to the nose of the car) the allen-head mounting bolts, unbolt the seat, slide it back and put the mounting bolts through the forward holes.

Be careful with the allen-head bolts; it's easy to strip the head out if your allen wrench/socket isn't inserted straight into the head.

-Chris
Old 04-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

If you take it out of the car, you can move it wayyyy behind the car!!

Coleman.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:42 PM
rj777
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL, everyone is a comedian around here.

Seriously, can someone try moving their driver's seat to the rearward most position, and measure how much of the bottom-most seat rail is visible (i.e., the rail that is affixed to the floor) ?

I'm trying to get a little more leg room, and I'm attempting to determine if the 3 inches of exposed seat rail that I'm seeing is the most that it will go back, or if my seat is stuck somewhere.

Many thanks.

- rick
Old 04-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

With my seat all the way back, I have 3 1/8" of the roughly "U-shaped" seat rail (which appears fixed to the floor) visible.

That U-shaped rail can be moved back, however. The two sets of mounting holes I referred to in my original post are in this rail. The mounting holes that give you the most legroom are only 1" from the leading edge of the U-shaped track.

Check yours to see where the allen-head bolts are. If they're more than 1" from the front of the U-shaped track, you can unbolt the seat and slide the entire thing back, then reattach using the forward-most holes.

BTW, I'm 6'2", and I have plenty of legroom with my seat as described.

-Chris
Old 04-17-2007, 07:43 PM
ChrisA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris is correct, there are two sets of mounting holes for the seat, standard setting is for seat to be in the forward holes. By removing the seat and remounting in the rear mounted holes, (one Allen in front and two in rear for each rail) the seat will now be aprox. 1" further from the pedals, not significant but enough to make my 6'3' more comfy. I also have a little of three inches of rail exposed and 21 inches from the center of the brake pedal to edge of seat. Of course there are variables at play such as angle of seat and height.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:49 PM
rj777
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat mechanically challenged. I could probably get one side unbolted, but I'm not seeing where there is much access for getting the center console side of the seat rail unbolted. Since I'm already taking my car in for a few things later this month, I'll have my mechanic look at it to see if the whole thing can be moved back a bit.

Hey, on an unrelated note, , I used to visit Melbourne & Vero Beach several times a year for about 15 years. Then my Dad passed away in 2005 and my Mom moved to Ohio. So, I haven't been there much since '05. I really enjoyed going to Captain Hiram's in Sebastian, and a certain night club (if you know what I mean, ) in Melbourne.

- rick
Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rj777
Chris,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat mechanically challenged. I could probably get one side unbolted, but I'm not seeing where there is much access for getting the center console side of the seat rail unbolted. Since I'm already taking my car in for a few things later this month, I'll have my mechanic look at it to see if the whole thing can be moved back a bit.

Hey, on an unrelated note, , I used to visit Melbourne & Vero Beach several times a year for about 15 years. Then my Dad passed away in 2005 and my Mom moved to Ohio. So, I haven't been there much since '05. I really enjoyed going to Captain Hiram's in Sebastian, and a certain night club (if you know what I mean, ) in Melbourne.

- rick
Hi Rick,

I use an allen socket with 3/8" ratchet to get to the seat bolts. I'm sure your mechanic can do it for you with minimal labor charge too, though.

Melbourne's certainly changed a bunch in the last 15 years. I've been here since '92. Hiram's is awesome, although I gotta say I think I preferred their Sandbar before the remodel! With three kids and a wife, I don't really have the opportunity to frequent any clubs (other than the Porsche Club! ), but I think I know what place you're talking about...

-Chris

Quick Reply: What is the maximum distance you can move the seat back?...