First driving event

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:23 AM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First driving event

I attended the PCA Skills Day at Bremerton on Saturday. I’ve done this event in my other cars, so I knew from past experience that this would be a great opportunity to get a better understanding of the 993’s dynamics (my first 911). The Skills Day is billed as both a primer for a DE and as a street safety course. It consists of 6 different instructor-led stations: wet skidpad, emergency braking/emergency lane change, slalom, advanced slalom, handling oval, and mini autocross. The club put on another fantastic event and we had a great time.

The two things that impressed me most about the 993 were the brakes and the back end’s responsiveness to the throttle. There were a few times when I got the car very loose, yet the tail was so easy to control with my right foot that they were non events. Given the 911’s reputation for swapping ends quickly, I didn’t expect it to behave so beautifully. Granted, these were all low speed situations, so I reserve the right to change that assessment once I tackle higher speed corners on the track Yes, I'm hooked and am planning to sign up for a DE soon

-John
Old 04-16-2007, 08:17 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCh
The two things that impressed me most about the 993 were the brakes and the back end’s responsiveness to the throttle. There were a few times when I got the car very loose, yet the tail was so easy to control with my right foot that they were non events. Given the 911’s reputation for swapping ends quickly, I didn’t expect it to behave so beautifully.

-John
That's a 993 rear suspension for you, don't try the same throttle steering technique with an older 911 (pre 95) or you may have to look in the rearview mirror to see where you are headed.

Glad you enjoyed the event and hope you enjoy many more......ZP44
Old 04-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
That's a 993 rear suspension for you, don't try the same throttle steering technique with an older 911 (pre 95) or you may have to look in the rearview mirror to see where you are headed.

Glad you enjoyed the event and hope you enjoy many more......ZP44
Do you know if the local (So Cal) PCA chapters do a similar skills day?

Quick Reply: First driving event