Sponsored by: DashLynx

Slightly OT: Question For UK Rennlisters

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 07:05 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey AG

Sorry.............to say I agree completely with the Alchemist........

Everything's two to four times more expensive than anywhere else, but it isn't two to four times as good. Everything's a hassle, the government doesn't listen to anyone and is actually, officially, trying to make your life more difficult (they were proven to be trying to create traffic jams), a public transport system that flat-out doesn't work, you constantly feel as if you're watched (did you know we have, in London alone, 20% of the world's CCTV cameras?), "service" doesn't mean a damn thing (tried to speak to Sky/BT/the council etc in the past few years?), you're charged for EVERYTHING (whether you're doing something or not - there are cameras in my high-street that will automatically charge you £100 if you stop on a double-yellow for more than 20 seconds), and the only people left seem to be speaking Polish.

There ya go............my feelings exactly.......and this is what many people are feeling here......a large salary will isolate you from it to a degree......but we all are feeling the pinch, at the moment all I am is a unit upon which the government raises revenue........and little else

But I wish you all the best AG whatever you decide

Hey Urban A.......did I see you hurtling around apex corner the other week?.....you gave me the nod from your silver turbo with spoiler.......was that you??

i was in a black NB 993
Old 04-12-2007, 04:58 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it might have been me Ash if it was last month... was in Japan since then...

I try to make a habit of nodding to other 993 drivers, although most in London don't respond...
Old 04-12-2007, 09:00 AM
thehawke
Track Day

Default Too true

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
It can be... I have to agree with Ash... it's getting to the point where you just get the feeling you're constantly having the **** taken out of you.

Everything's two to four times more expensive than anywhere else, but it isn't two to four times as good. Everything's a hassle, the government doesn't listen to anyone and is actually, officially, trying to make your life more difficult (they were proven to be trying to create traffic jams), a public transport system that flat-out doesn't work, you constantly feel as if you're watched (did you know we have, in London alone, 20% of the world's CCTV cameras?), "service" doesn't mean a damn thing (tried to speak to Sky/BT/the council etc in the past few years?), you're charged for EVERYTHING (whether you're doing something or not - there are cameras in my high-street that will automatically charge you £100 if you stop on a double-yellow for more than 20 seconds), and the only people left seem to be speaking Polish.

I swear to god, apart from my little 'corner' of London (Hampstead Village) that I truly love and rarely leave unless I absolutely have to, I can't think of anywhere I'd less like to live. As soon as I no longer have to be in the UK, more than likely I'll be out like a flash...
Then again, who's fault is this? The British people's fault.

I am constantly amazed at how they just put up with stuff. It is their best and worst quality. It's useful in wartime where, unlike the Americans, we aren't about to go on strike because we are bored with the lack of variety in ice cream flavour, but apart from that people here are just walked all over. Why do we pay twice as much for things that are half as good and that come with a distinct lack of service of any kind? Add to this the sheer ineptitude of everyone and everything in the public sector and personally, I can't wait to leave. The only problem is finding somewhere better to go; currently I'm thinking Sweden or Canada.

Hampstead is lovely and a little different, but that's only because it is full of Americans :-)
Old 04-12-2007, 09:12 AM
clipstone
Instructor

+1 for all the comments above abuot the ridiculous cost of everything in the UK.

The one that I like best at the mo is the 'Victim Tax' which is applied to all Court fines handed out - £15 additional payment to be given out to victims of domestic abuse and suchlike.

No problems with these people getting a payment for their suffering, but why should the payment come from me if I happen to come before the Court with a speeding fine?

Yes, if you want to be taxed out of existence, come to the UK. If you don't like paying huge amounts of tax, then I'd consider your options more carefully ...
Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ASH.PALIN
Hey AG

Sorry.............to say I agree completely with the Alchemist........

There ya go............my feelings exactly.......and this is what many people are feeling here......a large salary will isolate you from it to a degree......but we all are feeling the pinch, at the moment all I am is a unit upon which the government raises revenue........and little else

But I wish you all the best AG whatever you decide

Hey Urban A.......did I see you hurtling around apex corner the other week?.....you gave me the nod from your silver turbo with spoiler.......was that you??

i was in a black NB 993
Guys,

I respect your thoughts but sorry to say the grass is greener on the other side. Currently I am in Chicago with a career that will most likely eventually going to take me to New York city or London. If I am going to go to an extremely expensive city to advance my career I want it to be a drive away from the European main land. A short flight away from the gorgeous Mediterranean. If that means paying a little more or keeping the 993 a little longer than trading up so be it. It is snowing here in Chicago today and it is 0 c in mid f'ing April. As you guys are nodding at each other in the 993s mine is in a garage somewhere west of the city with the battery out and a cover over it. So is a move to Europe worth thinking about - YOU ARE DAMN RIGHT!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:15 AM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

Well AG

Good luck to you!! As I mentioned a big salary will cushion you from the crap here in the UK and the flights are really easy and quick to Europe. And yeah the weather is great here at the moment.......the UK is great in the spring and summer

Let us know how you are after a couple of months........

Kind regards

Ash
Old 04-12-2007, 10:34 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ASH.PALIN
Well AG

Good luck to you!! As I mentioned a big salary will cushion you from the crap here in the UK and the flights are really easy and quick to Europe. And yeah the weather is great here at the moment.......the UK is great in the spring and summer

Let us know how you are after a couple of months........

Kind regards

Ash
Next spring at the earliest my friend. If I do make it finally, I am buying you a pint and we are organizing a drive somewhere fun!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:17 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
Next spring at the earliest my friend. If I do make it finally, I am buying you a pint and we are organizing a drive somewhere fun!
Καλη Τυχι.... Μερικοι εδω δεν προκειτε ποτε να καταλαβουν το γιατι....
Μακαρι σε μερικα χρονια να μπορο να παω πισο και εγω....

Old 04-12-2007, 01:59 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 120 Posts

- Do I have to pay VAT even with foreign plates on the car?
No, no taxes on foreign plates, at least nobody bothered me for three years...

Ian - Insurance is certainly a concern that I will have to address. I will need to find out how that works and how expensive it is.
all the insurance companies in every european country, cover the whole of europe.
Your insurance in the Uk costs depending on the zip code believe me.
Best thing to do, is insuring the car in greece if you have an address there. If not, you try to find a friend in germany, austria, etc. who can receive your post mail, and you can insure it in any country, for cheap. I pay 1250 euros per year, for full coverage and zero franchise (penalty) on all.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Reading the dvla site it seems there are different procedures for EU and non-EU vehicles. Looks like non-EU vehicles are let in for 6 months at a time and paperwork is marked with the required export date.

I'm with geolab, check out registering your car in Greece or another EU country. You may also want/need to get an EU license - chances are good that the fuzz will be pretty interested in someone with an EU registered car but a US license. If you're a dual citizen that will also make things easier, you would have a matching DL and passport.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:29 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately Greece a prohibitively expensive and requires Greek tax returns and things like this so putting Greek plates is even worse.

The question boils down to US car US plates, US car UK plates and registration or UK car with UK plates.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:33 PM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

OK AG.........I'll look forward to it...........I'm in North west london nr Hampstead,
Urban Alchemist's neck of the woods............You'll be most welcome......and there are lots of pubs!!

Ash
Old 04-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Nigel - UK 993C2
Track Day

Sorry to spoil the party but I think London's great. When I am on my death bed I don't see myself saying "I wish I'd spent more time in the **** end of nowhere and less time in London". I've worked in London for 20 years and I haven't completely lost the sense of excitement that I used to get once a year when my parents brought me up to town for a day out.

I have to confess that I don't drive the Porker in to work though. It is reserved for a spanking out in the countyside on high days and holidays.

Quick Reply: Slightly OT: Question For UK Rennlisters