Sponsored by:

Finding room to place jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:33 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Or you could solve the entire problem by selling your house, and buying one with a lower garage floor...
Old 04-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good advice here. Thanks very much. I will go look for a higher hydraulic jack to use... and if
not then I will try the other methods listed here. I cant sell the house for a new garage because
I live in an apartment.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:20 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

I use an aluminum Sears jack and AC flat-top stands. My method is to drive the front wheels onto a set of 2x6" planks, jack the rear using the seam of the engine case (with a hockey puck), and then set the rear stands.

Then I move to the front and take another 24" section of 2x6", lay a folded towel on top, and lift the entire nose from the middle. I place the wood piece dead center and as far forward as possible before impacting the plastic bumper. Since the engine/tranny weight is now behind the rear stands, the front lifts with almost no effort. I can then position the front stands and raise the rear further if I want to level the car.

Andreas
Old 04-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually run the rear of the car up on 2 x 6s, use the rear lift points to place the front jackstands, lift under the engine with a wood block and place the back stands. I think I learned that on pcar.com.....

Last week I orderd a little plate with a center pin from Pelican that allows you to remove the cup on your jack and slide under the stock lift points even with a lowered car. Gives a very secure lift and I think eliminates the need for the 2 x 6's--but haven't tried it yet.

Not sure I'd jack under the trunk as you could cut the undercoating, although I note that one poster above carefully pads with a towel (and no doubt, a freshly laundered one).

Quick Reply: Finding room to place jack stands