993 Forum 1995-1998

Steering Rack Sabotage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Steering Rack Sabotage?

After lowering my car myself I took it to my local Porsche Dealer for an alignment about a week ago. Tonight after returning home I noticed a leak on my garage floor. It turned out to be power steering fluid.

In confirming this leak I noticed that the black plastic knurled screw on the steering rack was loose…very loose. I have hand tightened the nut and cleaned up the area. I will monitor the situation to see if this fixes the leak.

The leak was not all over the boot as shown in the photo from p-car.com. The leak was thrown on the underbody behind the rack and somewhat on the boot. I do believe the source of the leak was coming from the loose screw.

The circumstances are just too coincidental but at the same time almost impossible to prove.

This screw should be tight, yes? What’s it for?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:49 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealers sometimes can be stupid and sloppy, and will over charge you everytime. But I have never heard of case of a sabotage.

I think maybe a higher source is punishing you for wasting your money for lowering your car.... :P Just kidding....

Do you have a pic of this screw?

I think this plastic screw maybe the screw cover used to center the steering rack after installation. There is a dimple on the steering rod inside the steering rack and the dimple was used to center the steering.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Miller_arch
Racer

The screw is knurled. I turned it right to tighten it up. I turned it about 5+ times. I thought for a moment I was "screwing" something up. But eventually it tightened up.

You can see a drip forming on the screw in the photo. I don’t know, maybe its leaking around the boot were it connects just the right of screw.

But why would the screw be so loose?
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2007, 01:39 AM
Miller_arch
Racer

OK, I have read the steering rack replacement procedure in detail and it looks like this fitting will access the dimple for centering the steering. Looks like I got the infamous steering rack leak.

I just don't trust dealerships at all; it was the only place to get the proper alignment in this area.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:20 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

That is exactly what that rubber/plastic dust cover is for. It covers up access to the rack centering feature. Basically, there is a tool that screws into this bore with a male peg machined into it. Simply screw the tool into this bore and find the female dimple on the rack bar and that will center the rack.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, from the picture you have the dreaded steering rack leak, looks like this leak has been around for awhile. This proves another case of the careless dealer, they should have easily noticed that during the alignment.

The good news is that after the steering rack replacement you don't have to take it to the dealer for just the toe alignment, any alignment shop can do that. But please make sure they don't touch any other alignment settings.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
I notice that you have a '95. Do you still have the 17" Cup 2 wheels? There is a steering rack brace that is recommended if you go to 18" wheels. Does anyone have an opinion of the usefulness of this brace for 17" wheels? Is it a good idea?
The lower left is the brace in point .... now in the "spares" bin.

Yes, a classic rack seal blown = juicy boots!
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
I notice that you have a '95. Do you still have the 17" Cup 2 wheels? There is a steering rack brace that is recommended if you go to 18" wheels. Does anyone have an opinion of the usefulness of this brace for 17" wheels? Is it a good idea?
It's recommended for 17" wheels if you track the car, but it's also so cheap to buy and easy to install that you should just go ahead and do it anyway. IMO.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Miller_arch
Racer

I have the 17" cup wheels. No track close here in KC for the moment so I just enjoy the roads...at track speed Maybe I should put in the brace since I am going to be in the neighborhood.

Thanks for the feedback on alignment and the rest. The lower DIY was fun, kind of looking forward to the steering rack replacement.

These cars are fun to tinker with thanks to all the advice on this board! People are amazed that I can fix my Porsh

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Sabotage?