Hi! I'm new / a long drive home.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:41 PM
renn911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fred,
Awesome car, I love those wheels!
Drive safe, hope you make it back to NE with only one ticket, good luck.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:37 AM
fredo
Intermediate

Default Day 2 pics

So, no tickets today, kept is sane, not over 80 for extended amounts of time.
That ticket was 87 in a 70, trooper was sitting on the right shoulder after a little hill, I crested, and saw the lights. Was near sulphur springs, TX.
side note: Anyone ever tried tixnix.com?

Today Little Rock AR -> Knoxville, TN. stopped in Memphis to eat and see the king, then a little roadside museum stop.
I-40 from Otter Creek Junction to Knoxville at night, downhill is nice and curvy, felt faster than running in a straight line.

Tomorrow Oak Ridge, TN and then on to C'ville, VA.

Some pix...
Attached Images     
Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

welcome aboard. like me you will learn a lot in this forum
Old 04-12-2007, 10:28 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice pics! What's with the 3rd picture? I thought the King is still alive
Old 04-13-2007, 01:31 AM
fredo
Intermediate

Oak Ridge, TN - Rang the International Friendship bell

Got on I-81 and about 10 miles from the TN/VA border, I was lightly accelerating and heard the engine stop at about 75 MPH, got a CEL then the rest of the dash lights lit up. So I coasted to a stop, waited a minute or two and started the car, got out, listened for anything that could seem "bad", revved the engine and then took off. About 30 minutes later I got a hold of a porsche mechanic in VA, who said " you might have passed some carbon through an injector, my advice is to drive it like hell." So following his advice, I used 4th gear to do some passing in the mountains. The powerin this car is addicting, you ask and its keeps on giving and giving. I've never driven anything like it, its amazing, can't wait for the blue ridge/skyline drive and some twisties.

Nothing out of the ordinary happened the rest of the day.

Nice climb into Virginia up 81 and over Afton Mtn. Tomorrow is a day off, gonna go have a diag done on the car to see if it throws any codes, then hang out and rest.
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2007, 02:04 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

did you get the spare DME relay with you?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:38 AM
fredo
Intermediate

I will search for one today...
Old 04-13-2007, 12:06 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fredo
I will search for one today...
The DME relay has been known to be the culprit of numerous non starting issues, engine dying and the dash lighting up like a X-mas tree. Its cheap and it just a simple swap at the fuse box to install.
More radical theory would be the wiring harness. The symptoms you described are also what would happen with a bad wiring harness. Do you know if the car has had the Porsche recall done for the wiring harness??? Especially on 95's the wiring harness was manufactured wrong by the Porsche supplier and the cable cover would crack and break resulting in shorting issues which some led to engine fires... This was addressed with a new type of wiring harness on the 96+ models, but there have been reports that some 96 cars had the old harness. Porsche recalled all 993's to have the harness inspected by the dealers and some like in my car was replaced. So it would not hurt to check that as well....
Old 04-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fredo
So, no tickets today, kept is sane, not over 80 for extended amounts of time.
That ticket was 87 in a 70, trooper was sitting on the right shoulder after a little hill, I crested, and saw the lights. Was near sulphur springs, TX.
side note: Anyone ever tried tixnix.com?

Today Little Rock AR -> Knoxville, TN. stopped in Memphis to eat and see the king, then a little roadside museum stop.
I-40 from Otter Creek Junction to Knoxville at night, downhill is nice and curvy, felt faster than running in a straight line.

Tomorrow Oak Ridge, TN and then on to C'ville, VA.

Some pix...
Did you have a 'nana sandwich at the diner next to The King's house?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '96 had the old harness, and also did the "die on the road" trick. Same result, pulled over, restarted with no problem. This was a couple of years before the harness recall, so I lived with a few little random electrical glitches here and there for a time... once replaced all was well.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:15 PM
dotcomhusker
Advanced

Originally Posted by David in Chicago
But do work out the whole "parking around NYC" thing before you get there. There have been several posts on parking in big-city valet garages and the story they tell is not good. Indeed, I'd give some thought to the "on the way" parking arrangements everywhere you'll stop - to the extent possible...
Having recently moved from NYC, I can say that I didn't find THAT many self-park garages (although I'm not a city native either) I did have a garage where I paid monthly across from where I lived and liked it quite a bit. There fee is somewhere around $25 a day, but it's self park. Find a spot on the end, which I'm sure goes w/o saying. Beats the hell out of <bump, bump, scratch, scrape> valet... and no tip! It is on 42nd st b/w 9th and 10th. Basically where Dyer avenue dead ends into 42nd st. Manhattan Plaza.

Congrats and Good Luck!!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Hey Fredo,
If you want to leave your car in a safe place while visiting friends in NYC, you are welcome to leave it at my place. I'm about an hour North of the city, easy ride in/out on the train. I have a Porsche- friendly carriage barn with room for a visiting 993 to stay out of the nor'easter that's supposed to roll in this weekend.

PM me if you are in need! (I'm about three hours from Boston, so an easy drive on the final leg from the NYC area).
Old 04-13-2007, 11:32 PM
BG993
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Fred,

The wiring harnes was replaced. Hope everything else is fine....

Bill
Old 04-14-2007, 12:04 AM
fredo
Intermediate

I visited the old Pegasus Motors in Charlottesville, VA(its now a suzuki dealer that still services porsches) this morning and they pulled the codes, and found a mass air flow sensor error, and ordered me a DME relay. The relay was about $72 and the work was $35. They seemed pretty knowledgeable, and the relay arrived by 4pm.

I think I'm gonna get up around 8am and haul a$$ to get back to boston before the nor'easter hits, I really want to get back before the impending doom. Need to mail those taxes...

Thank you to all fellow rennlisters for the advice and offers to shelter my 993, I think I will have to skip a NYC stop this time, but look forward to taking a drive or meeting up for food in your area when mother nature is a little more accommodating.

Thanks!
-fredo
Old 04-14-2007, 04:20 AM
Feehliks
Instructor

Congratulations on that beautiful car and I enjoyed very much reading about your road trip. I guess 20 or 30 years ago we would have all been sitting by our CB-radios listening.

Felix

Quick Reply: Hi! I'm new / a long drive home.