Riddle me this: LWF, now CEL w/ codes 1124 and 1126

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:08 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Riddle me this: LWF, now CEL w/ codes 1124 and 1126

I got my car back on Tuesday after a clutch service: LWF, clutch, trans oil, slave cylinder. Because the engine came out, the service included an SAI check valve, PS belt, plugs and some other WYIT things. It's been running like a champ, with only the lightest LWF symptoms.

Wednesday after a long drive into the city the CEL popped on as I was reversing. It has stayed lit since. I bought a code reader and get 1124 and 1126, which seem to be O2 sensors out of bounds, maybe indicating lean mixture.

It went back to the shop this afternoon and we were discussing theories. I'm suspecting a vacuum leak, since the engine was out. Othe theories mooted were bad MAF, loose electrical connection and side-effect of LWF.

I'll know for sure what it was on Monday but am interested to hear what the experts here think beforehand?

Old 03-31-2007, 12:29 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Ed,
Do you feel comfortable posting which shop you used?

Andreas
Old 03-31-2007, 02:24 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

vacuum leak -- check the MAF connector to insure the connector is seated properly or that none of the pins pushed back out while it was reconnected. Otherwise, have a look around with a flashlight looking for anything funky.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:05 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of the reasons that I do not remove the motor (even in a turbo or C4S). Too many other items to contend with. My philosophy is touch as few things as possible to get the job done. Less chance of an error, damage, or just Murphy's law. Also, since the LWF can be installed in 3-4 hours by just removing the tranny and leaving the engine in the car, most shops like to do MORE than necessary so you can pay 8-10 hours plus an aligment.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:38 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. I'm sticking with my bet on the vacuum leak but we'll see what they say. I think it'll be pretty obvious and there won't be an issue. Andreas - Redline in Purcellville VA. They've done my work for a decade.

Bob- when they pulled the motor they took the lower subframe (?) out with it by removing the outer ball joints in order to retain the alignment. So, more hours than just pulling the trans but the WYIT stuff was pretty easy to do then. They wouldn't have gotten the alignment $$ from me, anyway, as they don't have the kinematic toe tools.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:56 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

just added your error codes and proceedure in the TSB thread here

Last edited by geolab; 03-31-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:12 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the Varioram system functioning properly, and are the HVAC flaps moving as they should, particularly when you switch the AC on?
Old 03-31-2007, 09:07 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Merci de votre assistance, geolab.

Bob - vram works fine, haven't checked the hvac flaps but I will if I need to do more investigation. I suspect the guys will find a missing vacuum cap or disconnected vacuum line.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:17 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bob, you sound like a medical doctor performing surgery..... nice....
Old 03-31-2007, 10:45 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ed devinney
Bob- when they pulled the motor they took the lower subframe (?) out with it by removing the outer ball joints in order to retain the alignment.
Yes, this is possible provided the car is high enough off the ground (lift) - but the car should be aligned again since the subframe can be difficult to get back the exact location is was prior. The locating bores are oversize to allow for tolerance stack up.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:16 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Yes, this is possible provided the car is high enough off the ground (lift) - but the car should be aligned again since the subframe can be difficult to get back the exact location is was prior. The locating bores are oversize to allow for tolerance stack up.
Understood, thanks. I decided to put the HDs on myself so will do that soon & have an alignment done after.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:16 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update: the guys checked the usual diagnostics, found no vacuum leaks, no loose connections, no exhaust leaks. Watched the O2 sensor data as they drove the car around, all well. Cleared the codes, took a multi-drive-cycle test drive, no recurrence. The CEL popped when I nearly stalled the car, so the theory (which I can buy into) is that the event was transient. if it happens again I'll look into the MAF connector.

I took the car on a checkout run tonight, have I mentioned that I just plain love this car?
Old 06-15-2014, 01:15 AM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently got both of these codes after getting my engine wiring harness replaced. I think I have some sort of air leak as I can hear a hissing noise coming from the engine. Is it bad to drive the car like this?

-nels

Quick Reply: Riddle me this: LWF, now CEL w/ codes 1124 and 1126