Sponsored by:

BASKET HANDLE REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:25 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BASKET HANDLE REMOVAL

As I am looking to install a turbo wing, I will do a basket delete. However, I do not want to permanently plug the holes so that I may revert it to it's original status.
Does anyone know the size of the holes left behind by the mounting screws? I am thinking about using Bumper Plugs and they cover only a 1/4" hole.
Thanks
Ron
Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Ron,
I can't tell you the exact size, but the right side hole is considerably larger (electrical wire for the 3rd brake light passes through it), so a bumper plug will not cover it.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

I was looking at doing the same thing a few months ago and found out that there are various size plugs that body shops use. You should make an inquiry to a local shop and see if anyone has the right size. IIRC, the large hole is about 3/4" but I might be wrong.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried this and it didn't work well. the right side had (2) holes (I think), and the holes were raised around the edges, so the plugs were not flush. they looked bad. i just put the basket handle back on with my tail. I've grown to like it.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:49 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

If you're going to instal a turbo wing anyway, a nice option would be to buy a carbon fiber rear decklid from GT racing. Lighter, solves your hole problem, and you can simply remove the stock stuff and replace it if you ever sell.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
I tried this and it didn't work well. the right side had (2) holes (I think), and the holes were raised around the edges, so the plugs were not flush. they looked bad. i just put the basket handle back on with my tail. I've grown to like it.
Gotta love this place! I'm glad I didn't go past the "idea" stage.

Matt's idea would seem to make the most sense. Other options along the same line would be to find a 96-98 lid from a dismantler or buying a fiberglass lid if you want to go the cheap route.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:14 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I removed the bling wing from my Evo, I went to the local sign shop and got a piece of vinyl that was a very close match to the silver paint. I cut circles and I used that to cover the holes (5 of them!). You could only see it if you looked really close or caught it at an angle during sunset or sunrise due to the different sheen on the vinyl.

I went back to the same shop when I got my 993 to get a Guards Red match and came up with something pretty good. In the end, I opted to not remove it until I get the 96+ TBL since I daily drive my car and the TBL is much more noticeable than the standard brake lights when in traffic.

The vinyl is also watertight (used it on my roof rack delete on the wife's Sequoia too).
Old 03-30-2007, 04:15 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Isnt the TT decklid integral to the wing?
Old 03-31-2007, 01:00 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Isnt the TT decklid integral to the wing?
I don't know about the factory piece, but the after-market tail that I have is a one-piece affair. I think that a few are offered as a bolt on to the factory lid too. My suggestion is to go with an one-piece integrated tail and then there is nothing to worry about as already suggested.

Quick Reply: BASKET HANDLE REMOVAL