Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What OBDII readers are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007 | 09:52 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Default What OBDII readers are you using?

I'm going to purchase an OBD II reader. I want to be able to reset the CEL and link to my laptop.
TIA
Old 03-27-2007 | 11:23 PM
Toddimus
Instructor

I'm interested in this too!

I'm thinking about getting the Durametric reader. (No affiliation, just interested)

Durametric Reader

It seems like it has more Porsche specific code reading abilities than the others. The only drawback of this one is that you can't use it for other cars. They say it doesn't support other manufacturers' cars.

Anybody tried it?

Then there's this one... (recommended on p-car.com)

OBD -2

I want one soon as well, so I'll stay tuned to the replies.
Old 03-28-2007 | 12:09 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

I have an Actron 9135 code scanner/reset tool, which works great. Check Google, and you'll find one for $72.99 on sale - they originally listed for $180.
Old 03-28-2007 | 01:54 AM
Toddimus
Instructor

Richard, sorry to hijack your thread! Let me know if I'm out of line. I'm just very interested in the subject, so I piped up.

Jack, or actually anybody else who cares to chime in: is there anything you wished/needed your reader/scanner/reset device would do that it doesn't already do?

Like a mechanic properly should, I sometimes disconnect the battery when I'm working on the machine. I could be wrong, but I think if I disconnect the battery, I'll need to reset the emissions readiness codes by the dreaded "drive around lugging the engine while rubbing the wheel and patting the shifter" method. Then I'll need to know if my method worked, so I need to see the readiness codes via the reader...

I'm interested in seeing the "readiness codes" and reading actual values, as well as descriptive (even 993 specific if I can get it) code descriptions.
Basically, I want everything that's available to the PST2 (which I can't afford if I could even find one). I realize I can't get all of that, but I'd like to get as much as I can for the $$.

Since I'd prefer all DIY repairs... I reconnoiter, if it costs me ~$100 more to get good features I might just go for it. I'll probably save that in otherwise erroneous parts purchases with better descriptions, access to actual values, etc. from an OBDII interface.
Old 03-28-2007 | 01:27 PM
ecobb993
Racer

For PC interface I use http://www.obd-2.com/ for all my cars.

But for the 993 I carry a Pocket Scanner in the door pocket to read/reset the SAI codes if/when it pops the CE light on. It's about $60 at Pepboys.
Old 03-28-2007 | 02:41 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Jack, or actually anybody else who cares to chime in: is there anything you wished/needed your reader/scanner/reset device would do that it doesn't already do?
Nope, the Actron 9135 does everything I need...reads/scans/clears codes and resets the CEL. It is also very simple to use.

I got a SAI CEL just before emission testing time last November. I reset it with the 9135 (took maybe 30 seconds total), drove the car 50 miles and passed the test with flying colors, and no light since, either.
Old 03-28-2007 | 02:44 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the Actron 9135 also - I keep it in the boot. Easy to use and seems well made.
Old 03-28-2007 | 02:50 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

me too. i use it on my Ford F250 as well. got it a sears
Old 03-28-2007 | 02:58 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have the Snap On Microscan. Reads OBD, run diagnostics as you drive and saves if you want to review later, clears codes and can be hooked up to a printer. Don't think it can download to a computer though, I'll have to read the manual again.
Old 03-29-2007 | 09:25 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input. Purchased an Actron 9175 on the web with the update cable included for $96.
Old 03-29-2007 | 12:25 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Matco 9620 code scanner.
VERY 'powerful' code reader/scanner. Can interface with all the protocols - American and European. Can view all the "PID" data in real time - can get it to freeze the data also upon the triggering of a CEL, can see if all the readiness monitors are OK or INC. Can perform O2 sensor tests.
Best $50 I spent on ebay several years ago.

G.
Old 03-29-2007 | 10:19 PM
Toddimus
Instructor

g_murray, that one sounds pretty good! I'll have to look into it.
Old 03-30-2007 | 08:57 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

For the 993, the OBD-2 works great. I have used it for several years in the shop. With the newer cars, i went to the Durametric. Works great for Porsche's. Now though, I am getting a PIWIS as the current cars as SOOOO wrapped up in the electronics that I do not see how shops will be able to get by without them (but for $21K and 11K per year thereafter I think most shops will find a way around them).
Old 03-30-2007 | 12:11 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"With the newer cars, i went to the Durametric. Works great for Porsche's."

For the very basics, e.g. no programming - a VERY necessary feature for any viable Porsche shop.
Basically the same as the Baum Tools iScan tool.

"but for $21K and 11K per year thereafter I think most shops will find a way around them"

Don't hold your breath.
Old 03-31-2007 | 02:59 AM
Toddimus
Instructor

viperbob and Loren, from your responses it sounds like Durametric or OBD 2 are the ones for me. I saw that the Baum iScan was something like ~$2k. That's just way out of my realm of possibility for a tool that will be used very rarely. I don't even have anything wrong now, but I want to be able to read it properly if something comes up.

I was googling about and came across this article:

CRACKING THE EUROPEAN DATA SAFE

It's somewhat of a "state of the state" wrt the OBD/OBDII situation. I must confess, I didn't read all 9 pages of it. But one thing that is noticeably missing is the name Porsche when it comes to the lists of manufacturers that are supported in many of the solutions mentioned. It is mentioned a couple of times, but not nearly as often as VW/AUDI and BMW. Why are the folks in Stuttgart so dag-blasted stingy with their data?? The article says they are trying to encourage going to the dealer for service, which of course makes $en$e for them. It's just not fair to those of us who actually like to work on our cars ourselves. C'mon, what would Dr. Porsche have said?

Last edited by Toddimus; 03-31-2007 at 03:02 AM. Reason: re-read previous posts

Quick Reply: What OBDII readers are you using?