Sponsored by:

Insurance: Grundy vs. Classic vs. Leland vs. Heacock vs. Hagerty

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:23 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Insurance: Grundy vs. Classic vs. Leland vs. Heacock vs. Hagerty

I'm pretty convinced that I'm going the low-mile "collector" insurance route. Does anyone have any definitive experience good or bad with any of these four?

Specifically I'm curious about unusually draconian usage restrictions on the front end and bad claims experiences on the back end. I want to be able to drive the car a bit, but I never plan to commute with it.

BTW- "Classic" is classicins.com. They advertise in Excellence, and quoted me the second best rate after Grundy, but better than Leland and Heacock (respectively). Hagerty was the highest.

Thanks!
Chuck

Last edited by dcdude; 03-26-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I only have experience with Grundy, but have insured a number of early Porsches with them. They were by far the easiest to deal with and had the least restrictions when I was first looking for this type of coverage, with Leland being the least accomodating and restrictive. I never had a claim experience with them, but friends have and they were satisfied with Grundy's claims handling.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:54 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my 77 Bronco Sport through Hagerty. Never had an issue whatsoever and pay about $300 a year-no deductible. I did have to have my Bronco professionally appraised before they would insure it, which was no issue.

I only about about 1000 miles a year on my Bronco and believe requirments of Hagerty is no more than 3000 miles a year.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:41 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

I, too, used Grundy for a couple of years for my Beck Spyder. They were actually easier to deal with than my "regular" insurer.

I had concerns about the term "recreational" driving which was in their literature and seemed to indicate severe usage limitations. When I inquired about it, the lady said, "Well, you can't use it as your daily driver, but if you took it out for a drive and stopped at the grovery store or your office, no one would get upset."

The coverage was affordable...$163 per year for collision and liability with a stated value of $26,500 for the car. I filed no claims but all in all, my experience with them was a positive one.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:52 PM
godxilla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be careful with using your car for reason outside of the insurance company's terms. If they say pleasure use only, that does not mean stopping at the supermarket nor running any errand. You may think you are covered, but when they investigate it, you are not. it can be false sense of security. i just dropped leland for that reason, they are so restrictive and claim to investigate every claim.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:42 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found Hagarty much less restrictive than Leland West, nicer to deal with, and cheaper too. I wouldn't use LW again.

I didn't think the 993s were old enough yet for Hagarty to cover them.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:32 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I called Grundy today...unless I had another collector car to insure with them, they would not take the 993 due to its performance nature. Go figure.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:22 PM
endodoc
Intermediate

Default leland

i have two cars with leland .have never had a claim.. i drive the cars to car events ect. not work..told them i take them for pleasure rides and the golf course.. i might stop at the store on the way home. they first said no and then said ok.. but again have never had a claim..
Old 07-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

SO 10 years latter found this post looking for options for a friend... I think Leland is best - for me anyway as I have been with Leland West for 7 years now. Signed with them after meeting folks at Parade. Found they would take my car(s) - and allow every day driver use when none of the others would. We had three cars for two people - two Porsches. None of the others would take us unless we had Two alternate autos? Been very happy with my coverage including the cost for "Commuting". I am retired now so I only drive a few times weekly. Most miles are for Club events. I have had two fender bender accidents (one was rod debris) and both times they paid out without any questions.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:39 AM
patently
Intermediate

In the spirit of sharing information, I summarize below the coverage quotes I got from a set of carriers. As much as possible I requested identical coverage from each carrier.

I’m in the process of taking possession of my first Porsche, a 2003 996TT, all stock. My wife and I are in our late 50s. Our kids are grown and flown and the Porsche will the fourth car for two drivers. We have clean driving and claims histories.

I have no experience getting “classic” car insurance and got the names of carriers by searching threads like this one on Rennlist. I requested quotes on line and didn’t talk with anyone. Who knows, maybe if I had called I would have gotten different feedback.

The basic coverage information:

Use: 3,000 miles per year with occasional travel to work; no racing
Bodily Injury Liability: $300,000/$500,000
Property Damage Liability: $100,000
Comprehensive deductible: $200
Collision deductible: $1,000
Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury: $300,000/$500,000
Medical Payments: $25,000
Rental Reimbursement: 30 days/$900

The quotes for one year of coverage:

Grundy: http://www.grundy.com/: $651
Classic: https://www.classicins.com/: $979
Leland-West: https://www.lelandwest.com/: $1,163
Hagerty: https://www.hagerty.com/: $1,297
Heacock: https://www.heacockclassic.com/: no response yet
USAA (my longtime carrier for home, auto and umbrella): $550

Obviously I'm going with USAA for my Porsche coverage. It's probably unfair to compare the USAA quote with the other carriers - I expect I'm getting some sort of volume and long-time customer discounts from USAA. But I was a little surprised at the extent of the difference in quotes among the other carriers.

Cheers, Jim
Old 07-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

With all the varying conditions and restrictions, you can't go by price alone.

Originally Posted by patently
In the spirit of sharing information, I summarize below the coverage quotes I got from a set of carriers. As much as possible I requested identical coverage from each carrier.

I’m in the process of taking possession of my first Porsche, a 2003 996TT, all stock. My wife and I are in our late 50s. Our kids are grown and flown and the Porsche will the fourth car for two drivers. We have clean driving and claims histories.

I have no experience getting “classic” car insurance and got the names of carriers by searching threads like this one on Rennlist. I requested quotes on line and didn’t talk with anyone. Who knows, maybe if I had called I would have gotten different feedback.

The basic coverage information:

Use: 3,000 miles per year with occasional travel to work; no racing
Bodily Injury Liability: $300,000/$500,000
Property Damage Liability: $100,000
Comprehensive deductible: $200
Collision deductible: $1,000
Uninsured Motorists Bodily Injury: $300,000/$500,000
Medical Payments: $25,000
Rental Reimbursement: 30 days/$900

The quotes for one year of coverage:

Grundy: http://www.grundy.com/: $651
Classic: https://www.classicins.com/: $979
Leland-West: https://www.lelandwest.com/: $1,163
Hagerty: https://www.hagerty.com/: $1,297
Heacock: https://www.heacockclassic.com/: no response yet
USAA (my longtime carrier for home, auto and umbrella): $550

Obviously I'm going with USAA for my Porsche coverage. It's probably unfair to compare the USAA quote with the other carriers - I expect I'm getting some sort of volume and long-time customer discounts from USAA. But I was a little surprised at the extent of the difference in quotes among the other carriers.

Cheers, Jim
Old 07-15-2017, 01:28 PM
zooming993
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My Experience with Hagerty

I presently have three (3) cars (993, El Camino SS & Hot Rod) insured through Hagerty. I've been with Hagerty for well over 15 years. Last year while driving my Hot Rod I was rear ended. When I contacted Hagerty they assured me everything would be handled to my satisfaction and it was. As painful as an accident can be, Hagerty took care of me and with this in mind I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Hagerty.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:31 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by zooming993
Last year while driving my Hot Rod I was rear ended. When I contacted Hagerty they assured me everything would be handled to my satisfaction and it was.
I'm glad it all worked out for you, but I would say the true test of any insurance company is how they handle things when it's your fault, say, driving at night to the store; some scenario that doesn't exactly follow the context of how they want you using the car, and you hit someone.

Then you find out truly how good any classic car insurance is.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:32 PM
zooming993
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I'm glad it all worked out for you, but I would say the true test of any insurance company is how they handle things when it's your fault, say, driving at night to the store; some scenario that doesn't exactly follow the context of how they want you using the car, and you hit someone.

Then you find out truly how good any classic car insurance is.
Well that is true but just having Hagerty take care of everything was a great help. When I state "everything" I mean Hagerty handled all communications with the responsible parties insurance company, not once did I have to contact their insurance company to make sure my vehicle would be repaired to my complete satisfaction.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:24 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by zooming993
Well that is true but just having Hagerty take care of everything was a great help. When I state "everything" I mean Hagerty handled all communications with the responsible parties insurance company, not once did I have to contact their insurance company to make sure my vehicle would be repaired to my complete satisfaction.
That's great news. Now, to be fair, I'm pretty sure that's the way most insurance handles things when you're found to be 100% NOT at fault.

Glad you've had a good experience with them

Quick Reply: Insurance: Grundy vs. Classic vs. Leland vs. Heacock vs. Hagerty